Dave Sheronas

Leading from Behind the Scenes

By Peter K. Han

Like so many others, Yale Captain Dave Sheronas knew about The Game before he even entered college.

Four years ago, Sheronas was a senior at the Lawrenceville School in New Jersey, and he attended the annual matchup with a high school classmate.

"It was a funny situation," Sheronas says. "I was rooting for Yale, but my friend was rooting for Harvard, and since he had gotten us the tickets, we were sitting on the Harvard side of the stadium."

At many sporting events, wearing enemy colors is akin to suicide. But Sheronas survived, and the mystique of The Game left its mark on the Yale captain-to-be.

"Even then, I could tell that the whole weekend was more than just a game," Sheronas says. "Walking around the tailgate parties before the game, I realized how big of an event The Game really is."

Of course, Sheronas has recently taken a more active role in the rivalry. After being used his freshman and sophomore years primarily on special teams and in short-yardage situations, he moved into a starting spot last year.

This season, the 6'1", 225 Ib. senior fullback has been the primary blocker for star running back Keith Price--an important, if sometimes overlooked, role in Yale's rushing-oriented offense.

When asked to describe his style of play, the self-effacing Sheronas laughs.

"`Disguised' would have to be the key word," he says. "Since I'm a blocker, I'm really behind the scenes."

Sheronas is understating his own value, according to Price. "He's got a lot of heart, and he's a great leader, both on and off the field."

"[Sheronas] epitomizes the Yale team," Harvard's Monte Giese '93 says. "He's a hard worker and he lays it on the line."

Unfortunately, Sheronas will be on the sidelines this weekend. The senior captain dislocated his shoulder last week and will not play against Harvard.

"We'll really miss his contributions both on and off the field," says Yale head coach Carm Cozza. "I wish he could have played, especially with this being his senior season."

Missing his last chance to play in the Harvard-Yale rivalry, however, will not change Sheronas' memories of his years with the Bulldogs.

"Without a doubt, the last four years in the Yale program has just been a tremendous experience for me," he says. "Physically, academically and socially, it's been really special, and I know it'll stay with me when the season ends."

After graduating in June, Sheronas hopes for a career in advertising. "I'd eventually like to become an English teacher and football coach, but I want to try business first," he says.

For now, though, there is the small matter of the Harvard-Yale game this weekend.

Sheronas is taking the contest in stride. Rather than screaming wild boasts or laying down bold challenges, the level-headed senior is maintaining a healthy perspective on The Game.

"Regardless of who you root for, this is a great rivalry," Sheronas says. "It's going to go on forever, and I don't think anyone will ever be able to really prove which side is better. I'm just honored to be a part of the tradition."