Students, Homeless Meet

Hillel-Sponsored Coffeehouse Includes Food, Music

By Virginia A. Triant, Contributing Reporter

Strains of Bob Dylan and the words of John Updike '54 filled the Hillel basement Thursday night, as about 50 Harvard students and Cambridge homeless gathered for the first in a series of monthly coffeehouses.

Co-sponsored by the Hillel Progressive Jewish Alliance and Bread and Jams--a Cambridge group dedicated to empowering the homeless--the coffeehouse represented an attempt to build a sense of community among students and the homeless, organizers said.

"There should be a place where people from different backgrounds can hang out without the barriers being as extreme [as they usually are]," said Joel B. Gerwin '93, Progressive Jewish Alliance co-chair.

The coffeehouse, he said, is intended as a "service to the homeless community [where] they don't have to feel like they're clients or guests."

Assembled at tables scattered around the room, the participants shared coffee, cookies, and conversation, while listening to some student-produced entertainment.

Daniel E. Markel hushed the crowd with a recitation of John Updike's "Celery," and Dylan Thomas' "Do Not Go Gently Into That Good Night." Musical selections ranged from a mellow Bob Dylan rendition to an upbeat Matthews Hall quartet featuring harmonica and guitar.

Eric Weinberger, who coordinates Sunday meals for Bread and Jams, said he was impressed by the number of students who came. "I think it came off very well indeed," he said.

Many of the participants agreed.

"I really like the music," said one person, who did not want to give his name. "The free food is definitely the getter."

Another said, "I think its great, especially in the winter--to keep warm."

Catherine M. Cunningham, said she had hoped more homeless people would participate. However, she said she was pleased with the efforts of the coffeehouse organizers.

"It's nice that a gesture is being made," she said.