Activists on Referendums Give Final Push Before Vote

By Alex B. Livingston, Contributing Reporter

Supporters and opponents of the four referendum questions yesterday launched their last-minute leaflet campaigns, trying to lure the remaining undecided voters.

As election day dawns, voters are being asked to decide questions on cigarette taxes, pollution taxes and recycled packaging.

The Coalition for a Healthy Future is working in support of Question One, which it sponsored. If passed, the ballot question would increase the cigarette tax from 26 cents to 51 cents per pack.

Carrie Devine, a representative of the American Cancer Society who is working for the coalition, said that they will focus on having volunteers hand out the remainder of their 800,000 pamphlets.

"I think it will be tight," Devine said of her group's chances, "but I think our effort today will make the difference."

Opposing the coalition, the Committee Against Unfair Taxes will try to earn support by visiting the polls.

"We want to get out the truth that this is just a tax, not earmarked for any cause," said Mary Ann Preskul-Ricca, spokesperson for the committee.

According to Jennifer Peck, a spokesperson for the No on Three Committee, opponents of the law to reduce product packaging will spend today handing out copies of the question and lobbying at the polls.

In opposition are the 4,000 volunteers from the Yes on Three campaign.

According to Deirdre Cummings, a spokesperson for the campaign, the group's focus will be on handing out flyers and holding signs.

Opponents of the referendum are predicting that the final vote could go either way.

"It's a close race, but what speaks in our favor is the text of the bill itself," Peck said.

However, supporters are much less optimistic. "If we win, it will be a chance in a million," Cummings said.

Supporters of Question Four, which would tax companies for producing toxic waste, said they would continue their efforts using residents who live close to hazardous waste sites.

Hillel Gray, a representative of the group sponsoring Question Four, said they will continue campaigning door-to-door and handing out leaflets.

"We're a grass roots campaign by people who have been victimized taking on the most powerful companies in the world," Gray said.

The Coalition to Oppose the Question Four Tax could not be reached for comment.