Historic Clock Ticking Again After Repairs, Renovations

By Daria E. Lidsky, Contributing Reporter

Tick, tock. Tick, tock.

After decades of being accurate only twice a day and $30,000 in renovations and repairs, the two hundred year-old clock on Mass. Hall began ticking again last week.

The clock, facing Harvard Square, served as the central time-keeper for Harvard's undergraduate community when it was originally erected in the late 18th century.

"There was a general consensus that since we were going to renovate the exterior of Massachusetts Hall, this was an opportunity to pay attention to this historical clock that was neglected for years," said Didier O. Thomas, University associate director for project planning.

Computer-programmed to reset itself for daylight savings time, the clock is guaranteed to run smoothly for the next 99 years.

"It was a nice addition not only to the Harvard community, but to the urban setting as well, since you can see it from Harvard Square, "Thomas said.

Despite the cost and noise of the renovation, Mass Hall residents and other first-years waxed rhetorical and said they took pride in the clock's restoration.

"The clock adds to the energy of Mass Hall and its residents," Mass Hall resident Maren Lau '96 said, "We love living in Mass Hall, and the restoration of this clock is the finishing touch."

"I was proud to learn that this historic addition to our University's fine architecture, is once again in motion," said Sheridan J. Pauker '96. "As a resident of Straus, I am both privileged to live next to Mass. Hall, and envious of their resurrected timepiece."

To resident Tal Ben-Shachar '96, however, the renovation of the clock took on a symbolic meaning.

"Just like this clock stood the test of time, so will we," he said.