Clinton's Cabinet: The Harvard Club?

By John Tessitore, Contributing Reporter

Just hours after the polls closed, political commentators began making predictions about President-elect Clinton's cabinet, pointing to a number of people associated with Harvard as possible candidates.

In this first round of the political name game, at least nine candidates have been mentioned who are tied to the University through the College, the graduate schools, the faculty, or fellowships.

Heading the list for Secretary of Commerce is Robert E. Rubin '60, co-chair of Goldman Sachs and Co. Rubin is also mentioned as a contender for Secretary of the Treasury.

Robert B. Reich, lecturer in public policy in the John F. Kennedy School of Government, is also a leading candidate for the Treasury position.

Timothy E. Wirth '61 (D-Colo.), who did not seek reelection as Senator, is the top candidate for both Secretary of Interior and head of the Environmental Protection Agency.

Other prominent contenders with Harvard affiliations include Boston Mayor Raymond L. Flynn, for Housing and Urban Development; civil rights lawyer Vernon E. Jordan Jr., for Attorney General; former San Antonio Mayor Henry G. Cisneros, for Transportation; former Arizona Gov. Bruce E. Babbit, for Secretary of Interior; former Vermont Governor Madeleine Kunin, for the Environmental Protection Agency; and economist and Brookings Institute member Alice M. Riviln, for the Office of Management and Budget.

This story was written using wire dispatches.