Massachusetts Dems Celebrate Victory

Diehards Chant `No More Years,' Saxophone Band Plays at Park Plaza Hotel

By Tara H. Arden-smith, Contributing Reporter

Blending chants of "No More Years" with songs of revelry, local supporters of Bill Clinton celebrated their candidate's victory last night at the Grand Ballroom of Boston's Park Plaza Hotel.

The ballroom lost some of its stately serenity last night as the overflowing crowd ushered in Boston's version of the new Democratic coalition with the defeat of the Grand Old Party candidate.

Many of the 2,000 supporters who attended the event, sponsored by the state's Democratic party, said they had waited their entire adult lives to see a Democrat elected president.

"I couldn't stay away," said first-year Harvard law student Bruce N. Goldberger '91. "I worked for Dukakis in '88 for 14 months, and I remember standing at the party in Boston and crying as he lost four years ago. It's time now to celebrate our successful work."

As the results appeared on the large screen above the hall, those in attendance whistled, cheered and chanted. "It's time for Bush to go," went one popular refrain.

"I'm just so happy I don't know what to do with myself," said Goldberger as Clinton gathered electoral votes. "For the first time our generation can feel represented, like we have a voice."

A 30-member saxophone band performed songs that had been played throughout Clinton's campaign--including the campaign's theme song, Fleetwood Mac's "Don't Stop Thinking About Tomorrow."

Many celebrants formed congo lines throughout the ballroom, mocking the Republican loss with repetitions of "Na, na, na, na...Hey, hey, hey...Goodbye."

The younger crowd were well represented at last night's event, from a toddler wearing a Clinton-Gore sticker on her back to a seven year-old in the saxophone band.

Among them was Walnut Hill High School senior Julie Blumenthal, who said she was learning a lot in her first political experience.

"I've been volunteering for Bill Clinton since July, and I admire him. I don't think he's perfect, but I really wanted to get him into office," she said. "I'm ecstatic now that he's winning."

The electoral votes rapidly added up until Wisconsin secured 265. "We want Bill, five more votes," chanted the crowd.

Finally, their expectations were fulfilled by Ohio's votes, and a deafening cheer arose from the floor as Bill Clinton was announced the president-elect.

"It's a truly celebratory experience," said first-year law student Michael B. Cooper '91.

"People in my age group have pretty much grown up under the leadership of Reagan and Bush, but this election shows that America truly has the potential for change," Cooper said. "We're all feeling very triumphant, after having smelled victory in the air for so long."