Voters Return Many to Congress

Anti-Incumbent Tide Dries Up; But 5 Women Sens. Elected

By Joe Mathews, Crimson Staff Writer

The anti-incumbent tide many experts predicted never materialized last night as voters returned nearly three-quarters of their senators and representatives to the U.S. Congress.

But as pundits anticipated, 1992 was unmistakably The Year of the Woman. Five women--all Democrats--won election to the Senate last night: Dianne Feinstein and Barbara Boxer in California, Patty Murray in Washington, Carol Mosely Braun in Illinois and incumbent Barbara Mikulski in Maryland.

Braun, who will be the first Black woman--and only the second Black ever--to serve in the Senate, called the women's wins "wonderful."

"Our first job will be to jump-start this economy," Braun told ABC News, in a statement many victorious candidates echoed last night.

Not all was rosy for female candidates last night. The most notable loser was Democrat Lynn Yeakel in Pennsylvania. Yeakel, who had said the confirmation hearings of Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas inspired her to run for Senate, lost to incumbent Arlen Specter. Specter was criticized for his harsh questioning of Anita Hill during the Thomas hearings.

Colorado voters chose the first Native American senator in American history: Ben Nighthorse Campbell, currently a U.S. representative. And five Southern states elected their first Black representatives since reconstruction.

President-elect Bill Clinton extended Democratic coattails into the Senate, but not the House. The Democrats stood to gain three seats in the Senate, giving their party a filibuster-proof majority of 60. In the House, however, Republicans took 23 more seats.

Both bodies of Congress elected a host of new members. Television networks estimated the number of new representatives and senators at an even 100. But few incumbents were turned out of office.

In fact, exit polls showed that six out of every 10 voters cast their ballots for incumbent House members. And in state races, more than 90 percent of incumbents won.

In the Senate, only three incumbents were ousted--Sen. Terry Sanford (D-N.C.), Sen Robert Kasten (R-Wisc.) and Sen. John Seymour (R-Calif.).

But while Americans were reluctant to throw their local Congressional representatives out of office, they showed no reluctance to support measures that would limit state and Congressional terms.

Term restraints appeared on the ballots of 14 states. Defying many scholars who believe term limits are unconstitutional, voters passed term restraints in all 14, including California, the nation's largest.

Gubernatorial races raged in 12 states last night. Incumbent governors were re-elected in Delaware, Indiana, Rhode Island, Vermont and West Virginia.

Missouri, North Carolina and Washington elected new Democratic governors. Montana, New Hampshire, and North Dakota elected new Republican governors. The race in Montana remained too close to call at press time. This story was compiled with wire dispatches. Woman's Day?

Of the 11 female candidates for the U.S. Senate, 6 triumphed yesterday evening. The name of the winner in each race appears in italics. ARIZONA Claire Sargent (D)  33% John McCain (R) inc.  55% CALIFORNIA Barbara Boxer (D)  47% Bruce Herschensohn (R)  43% CALIFORNIA Dianne Feinstein (D)  54% John Seymour (R)  30% ILLINOIS Carol Moseley Braun (D)  55% Richard Williamson  45% IOWA Jean Lloyd-Jones (D)  28% Charles E. Grassley (R) inc.  72% KANSAS Gloria O'Dell (D)  32% Robert Dole (R) inc.  64% MARYLAND Barbara Mikulski (D) inc.  71% Alan Keyes (R)  29% MISSOURI Geri Rothman-Serot (D)  46% Kit Bond (R) inc.  54% PENNSYLVANIA Lynn Yeakel (D)  49% Arlen Specter (R) inc.  51% SOUTH DAKOTA Charlene Haar (R)  33% Tom Daschle (D) inc.  65% WASHINGTON Patty Murray (D)  55% Rod Chandler (R)  45%   Source: Associated Press

Olivia Gentile '96, Margaret Isa '96, Heather Leslie '96, Asya Muchnick '96, Amanda Rawls '96 and Wendy Seltzer '96 contributed to election-day coverage.