AIDS Institute Honors Ashe

Former Tennis Star Calls Plague 'International Disease'

By Jerome J. Chou, Contributing Reporter

The Harvard AIDS Institute presented its first annual AIDS Leadership Award to former tennis star Arthur Ashe yesterday at the Carpenter Center.

The award, part of the Institute's observance of World AIDS Day, recognizes the recipient's "outstanding vision, leadership, and courage in the world's struggle against AIDS."

Before a slew of television reporters and a crowd of more than 80, Ashe said in a brief acceptance speech that he was "taken aback" by the award and said he hoped to "grow tall into the crown of leadership."

Sen. Edward M. Kennedy '54-'56 (D-Mass.), a guest speaker at the proceedings, described Ashe as "a national treasure" and said, "in an age in which too many people sit on the sidelines, Arthur Ashe is always out there fighting."

Since revealing to the public last April that he has the AIDS virus, Ashe has travelled the country giving lectures on AIDS and has established the Arthur Ashe Foundation for the Defeat of AIDS.

In his speech, Ashe expressed concern over what he called the increasing "provincialism" surrounding the disease. Ashe also warned against "a sense of proprietorship" among AIDS activists.

"It is not an American disease," said Ashe. "It is an international disease."

Ashe acknowledged that sometimes accurate information is difficult to obtain. "There is so much misinformation, distortion of facts," said Ashe.

Speaking to reporters after the ceremony, Ashe said the medical and scientific communities lack credibility with the general public. For example, the assurance of medical experts did little to assuage the fears of NBA players about playing basketball against the HIV positive Magic Johnson, Ashe said.

"There were a lot of heavyweight

AIDS experts...giving strong opinions aboutMagic," said Ashe. "And the players didn't believethem."

But despite these setbacks, Ashe said he wasoptimistic that President-elect Bill Clinton willhonor his promise to articulate a national AIDSpolicy.

In other speeches, Chinua O. Sanyika '93 andDina Cordoves '93, co-directors ofHarvard-Radcliffe AIDS Education and Outreach,addressed what each called "the gap betweeneducation and behavior" as they relate to AIDS