Council Urges More Liberal Party Policy

By Eon KYU Shin, Contributing Reporters

The Undergraduate Council's Residential Committee is attempting to convince house masters to pursue a more liberal party policy during reading and exam periods.

David L. Hanselman '94, co-chair of the committee, said representatives will petition each master separately with a formal proposal before Christmas break, rather than submit a plan for a University-wide policy.

"One of the dangers of forming a [school-wide] policy is that it could restrict already liberal houses," Hanselman said.

Council Chair Malcolm A. Heinicke '93 said that the committee is targeting the masters instead of College administrators because "the houses are under the jurisdiction of the masters."

Heinicke said there is currently an unwritten agreement among masters prohibiting officials parties from taking place during the reading and exam periods.

Dean of the College L. Fred Jewett '57 said he was not involved in setting the policy.

"[The agreement] is not a policy that has been set by the College at University Hall," Jewett said. "It has been set by the masters universally."

Jewett said he agrees with the present policy because there should not be any distractions "during periods of peak academic stress."

Heinicke said the council wants to "explore the possibility of lifting this ban."

While Heinicke said that he is "a little skeptical of parties during exam period," he said that parties should be allowed during reading period.

"It is better than yelling out a window," he said.

Hanselman, however, said he also favors allowing parties "every night during reading period" and on the Saturday in the middle of exam period.

"Students finishing [exams] in the first week should be allowed to let loose as far as I am concerned," Hanselman said.

Hanselman predicted that masters will be more lenient in allowing parties during reading period than examination period.

But at least one master, Robert J. Kiely of Adams House, said that such a change is unlikely.

"[The current policy] just makes sense for the students and masters involved," Kiely said.

"The Undergraduate Council can do whatever it wants, but it probably will not make much of a difference," he added.