Business School Adopts New Code

Will Allow Greater Student Input

By Mayer Bick, Contributing Reporter

Harvard Business School students voted last week to adopt an honor code, in a move that some called the first step toward a new process allowing greater student input for judging unethical behavior.

The need for tighter student regulation of ethical behavior stems from what members of the school's Honor Committee, which proposed the new code, called the school's responsibility to teach its students honorable behavior.

Earlier this year, allegations of vote-rigging at a Finance Club election sparked controversy at the Business School. This controversy, combined with confusion about proper behavior during exams, necessitated passing the honor code at this time, said Andrew L. Waite, a second-year Business School student and acting chair of the Honor Committee when the code was proposed last week.

"It is applicable for an institution that is sending out future leaders that part of that training should be social responsibility," Waite said.

Waite said that focus groups will be formed to study a student-controlled enforcement mechanism for the code. He added that the code is also meant to increase student awareness of ethical issues, and that a packet of information about the code would be sent to all incoming students.

The honor code was written by a joint student-faculty committee on ethics andresponsibility established in 1983, and wasunanimously passed by the faculty in 1985. Thecode has been rejected twice by students.

Waite attributed this to the past proposals'inclusion of controversial specific definitions of"proper behavior."

Currently, ethical violations are handled bythe Business School Dean's Office. Students havethe right to appeal decisions to the JudicialReview Board.

The measure was decided on December 7 and 9 by93 percent of the student body. Three-fourths ofstudents voting approved the code