Lacrosse Team Made It to Washington

TO THE EDITORS OF THE CRIMSON:

The inaccuracies in your articles on athletics over the past few days lead me to conclude that your reports are based less on facts and more on hearsay.

For the record, the Department of Athletics did take the women's lacrosse team to the White House after we won the 1990 national championship. To my knowledge, the department paid for the event. Not only was it an honor, but I must say it was good fun and the team loved it.

In addition, although I was not able to be there, President Derek C. Bok honored the team with a dinner to acknowledge their achievement. This was a unique honor paid to the women's lacrosse team and one which the men's hockey team did not experience.

Your implications that Harvard athletes are special is true. They are. They do all the things other students do plus invest time and commitment in teams which bring loyalty and pride to current students and alumni. I do not think Harvard athletes should have to explain/justify why they are not straight A students, although we have our share. The joy of sports and the educational experience of participating on a team serve them well in life beyond Harvard. To question that decision rather then examining the positive points is narrow in thought.

I came to Harvard 16 years ago shaped by wonderful experiences as a player and coach. During my years with Harvard athletics I have grown with the women's lacrosse team as an educator, coach and advocate for women in sport. There have been many positive changes; still many lie ahead. And I think that speaking out helps to inspire those who can make a difference rethink and evaluate.

The Crimson can help but only if the basis of your reports are factual and true.

Editor's Note: Kleinfelder, as well as many others, initially told The Crimson that the Athletic Department said it would not fund the team's trip to Washington. The circumstances surrounding the funding of the trip could not be confirmed yesterday. Carole Kleinfelder   Women's Lacrosse Coach