Police Warn Student After Fox Club Prank

By Elie G. Kaunfer, Crimson Staff Writer

Harvard Police issued a warning to an undergraduate Tuesday night after he ran screaming from the Hong Kong restaurant to Eliot House wearing a ski mask, police officials said.

Police Chief Paul E. Johnson said yesterday that the student pulled the stunt as part of his initiation to the Fox Club. Because no arrest was made, Johnson would not release the name of the student.

"He was told to purchase chicken fingers wearing a ski mask and deliver them to the Fox Club," Johnson said. "It was a stunt he should not have participated in."

The student ordered the chicken fingers wearing a black ski mask on, paid for the food and ran out the door.

Frightened pedestrians thought that the student had committed a robbery and notified both Cambridge and Harvard Police.

Harvard Police chased the student to Eliot House D Entry. The student, who had removed the ski mask but was panting heavily, apologized to police, explaining that the stunt was "just a prank."

Employees at the restaurant were not fazed by the joke.

"I didn't think it was strange," said Alex Pong, a cashier at the Hong Kong. "Everybody is strange here. We just gave him the order. I didn't think it was a stickup."

But Harvard Police contacted Tuesday night said the prank was a dangerousone.

"He activated all the cruisers in the area,"said Lt. Edward Sheridan. "He could have been hurtif the police did not realize he was playing aprank."

Johnson said officers called members of the FoxClub and reminded them of Massachusetts hazinglaws, which prohibit student organizations fromcoercing new members into behavior which couldharm them. Johnson added that no charge waspressed against the club.

"They said they would correct the situation,"he said.

Members of the Fox club did not return repeatedphone calls last night.

Police have in the past informally reprimandedfinal club members during initiation time, Johnsonsaid.

"A couple of years ago students playeddifferent games with fake guns," he said. "This isnot the first time we have dealt with somethinglike this.