Walsh Donations Unverified

Charities Find No Record of Councillor's Alleged $50,000 Gift

By Melissa Lee, Crimson Staff Writer

Charity officials contacted this past week said they could not pinpoint the exact date or amount of Councillor William H. Walsh's alleged $50,000 trust fund donations--monies the FBI charges were used as kickbacks to bank officials who funded Walsh's condominium projects.

James C. Hughes, national president of Campaign Life Coalition, a pro-life organization, said he "recall[ed] donations made about five to seven years ago" by Walsh, who was indicted in October on 29 counts bank fraud and conspiracy.

But Hughes said he could not recollect the exact amount, even though he said he remembers the donation being "the largest amount that came in at that time." He estimated the donation was more than $30,000.

"I asked my accountant about this, but my accountant didn't seem to be able to recall either," Hughes said from his Toronto office.

The other charity-recipient of Walsh's trust funds was a "school for the blind and retarded in Newton or Needham," Walsh said last week.

But both fundraising official Shirley J. Hartley and Director of Development Carol W. Taylor of the Carroll School for the Blind in Newton--the only blind school in either Newton and Needham--said they have no record of any William Walsh of Cambridge as a donor.

Taylor, however, added that Walsh may not appear in the files because he may have donated under a different name or under a corporation.

The FBI is investigating Walsh's use of two trust funds, "Banker Vics" and "Robin Hood." Walsh allegedly split the $500,000 in profits between the twotrusts and funneled the monies to payoff the bankofficials who funded his 19 real estate ventures.

The grand jury in the Walsh case will alsoinvestigate accusations of collusion between thecouncillor and his bank associates.

The indicted fourth-term councillor said hedonated the funds of one trust, Banker Vics, totwo charities: the school for the blind andVolunteer International Christian Services (VICS).He said the other was used to ** employees forovertime.

But Father Edward Colleton, a priest who workedwith VICS, said he actually allocated the alleged$30,000 donation to Campaign Life.

"Bill Walsh gave me the money and I made themistake of saying [it went to] VICS," saidColleton, who said he has known Walsh since the1960s. "I see how he can easily think it wasVICS."

Walsh said he named the Bankers Vics trustafter the VICS charity.

Hughes said that if bookkeepers did have arecord of the donation, they would have enteredColleton as the giver. "My recollection is thatthe funds came from Father Ted," Hughes said.

Campaign Life Coalition said that they hadreceived many donations from Colleton and couldnot trace any specific gift.

Hughes added that the monies funded thepublication of Colleton's two books, Yes, I'm aRadical and Yes, I'd Do It Again.

Walsh could not be reached for comment aboutspecifics of the donations.Crimson File PhotoWILLIAM H. WALSH