Heinicke Opts Against Bid for Council Chair

By Mark W. Brown, Crimson Staff Writer

Malcolm A. Heinicke '93, vice chair of the Undergraduate Council, decided this week he would not run for chair in Sunday's mid-year elections, leaving Council Chair David A. Aronberg '93 as the only official candidate in the race for the organization's top spot.

"The issue was whether [Aronberg] would step aside and let the natural chain move up or not," Heinicke said Thursday night.

Once Aronberg talked to Heinicke about running for chair, Heinicke decided to withdraw from the race "for the good of the Council."

Aronberg confirmed yesterday that he had wanted to continue as chair all along, but waited until intersession to officially declare his candidacy. Aronberg added that he applauded Heinicke's decision.

"Judging from the precedents," Aronberg said, "a race in the Spring might lead to negative campaigning that would cause hurt feelings and dissension in the Council."

Heinicke noted that he felt "no bitterness" over Aronberg's, decision to run again for chair.

Several council members, including Michael P. Beys '94, Steve N. Kalkanis '93 and Nhan T. Vu '92-'93, showed interest in the position of vice chair earlier this the week.

But after Heinicke announced his decision, each said he would avoid a potentially losing battle for vice chair, setting the stage for incumbents Aronberg and Heinicke to coast through the elections without a fight.

"[Heinicke] has done great work," Beys said, "and if he wants the [vice chair] job, it's his, which doesn't imply I could have taken it from him."

Kalkanis, who lost the race for chair to Aronberg in the Fall elections, said there were "no real threats" for the top leadership positions this semester.

Vu, who also said Thursday he would step down from his post as secretary because of the time commitment involved, said he now seeks only to become a "council elder" and to concentrate on committee work.

So far, Peter K. Lee '94 is the sole council member to declare an intention to fill Vu's shoes. Lee said he made up his mind to run for Secretary after a stint as acting secretary during a council ROTC debate.

Jean-Daniel G. Larock '95, whom Vu defeated in the contest for secretary last fall, said he would not oppose Lee.

Of the "big four" council positions, then, only the race for treasurer promises strong competition, with incumbent Treasurer April Osborg '93 undecided on her political plans.

However, council veteran Dan H. Tabak '92 speculated that the lack of electoral competition in the mid-semester elections occurs because council members are playing the game not to lose.

"Unlike presidential elections, after you lose once [in a council race], you're sort of tainted," Tabak said. "if you lose in front of the full council, it's the kiss of death."