STARR: DUNSTER'S COPYRIGHT MAN

By Deborah Wexler

Andrew T. Starr '91-93 made news in the spring of 1990 when he reported to 20th Century Fox that Dunster House was reproducing a copyrighted image--that of cartoon bad-boy Bart Simpson--on its house t-shirts.

When Starr turned in Dunster House for copy right infringement, he was making one of a series of complaints to major corporations. Some members of the house criticized the move, saying that his real motivation was a personal vendetta against Dunster.

But Starr describes himself as a concerned citizen who refuses to let copyright infringements and other legal infractions go.

THEN When Starr called 20th Century Fox in April of 1990, he wasn't doing anything new.

In addition to protesting red M&M's as a health threat, he reported Harvard Dining Services to McDonald's for naming breakfast entrees "MacEgg" and "BagelMac."

The Dunster episode marked a culmination of sorts for Starr. Much to the displeasure of the Dunster House Committee, he convinced 20th Century Fox to intervene.

The production company then threatened to sue if the house committee continued to sell the shirts.

"I was protecting the interests of 20th Century Fox, which has every right to make sure their trademark is not used by anyone without permission," Starr said at the time.

But critics of Starr say that he had ample opportunity to stop the shirt before it was printed. Some Dunster residents also pointed out that several other Harvard organizations, including the men's water polo team and Quincy House, sold t-shirts featuring the Simpsons.

NOW Starr--who had a history of academic trouble at Harvard--has since left Harvard and transferred to the University of Utah in Salt Lake City where he is a senior. "I like it more here," he says. "I've gotten more involved with activities."

Starr, who is interested in politics as a career, is co-chair of a committee that advises the economics department there. He is also applying for Congressional internships.

Despite his busy schedule, Star says, "I still do informal work with copyrights."

If I see something at a store that looks suspicious, I contact the company," he says.

Recently, Starr reported the University of Utah newspaper's use of the title "Sports Monday" on the sports page to The New York Times, which coined the term. The Times acknowledged Starr but declined to take action.

Starr says he's had no trouble with reporting copyright infringements in Utah.

"I'm discreet without being secretive. It's not like I advertise it. I haven't done much, though.

"I'm interested in [copyright law], I still read articles on it," Starr says. "But it's certainly not the dominating theme in my life."