He's Lost That Magic Touch

By Jonathan Samuels

LAST NOVEMBER, Earvin "Magic" Johnson brought goosebumps and chills to basketball fans around the world by announcing on live television that he had tested HIV-positive and would retire from professional basketball.

More importantly, he instantly became a media-hyped prophet, delivering an ultimatum to teenagers and middle-aged adulterers alike: Practice safe sex if you don't want to contract AIDS.

Magic's life had taken a 180-degree turn, and the world felt sorry for him.

But have things really changed? Magic took the national spotlight again yesterday--on the basketball court--when he played in the NBA All-Star game and fingerrolled his way to the game's Most Valuable Player award.

He is also planning to play for Team USA in the Summer Olympics, and is even pondering the idea of returning to compete in the NBA.

The most distressing part of Magic's return to the court is that the NBA and the Olympic Committee have bent over back-wards to accommodate him. And the Los Angeles Lakers have yet to officially take him off the injured reserve list--meaning that he has not officially retired.

Once again, he now sits in the spotlight as a hero--for all the wrong reasons.

IHAVE ALWAYS considered Magic to be one of the greatest players of all time, if not the best. And this praise comes from a diehard Boston Celtics and Larry Bird fan.

I have respected Magic off the basketball court as well, as he always said or did the right thing. And he impressed me even more with his poise and maturity in November when he announced his retirement and subsequent plans to lead the charge against AIDS.

I believed that he would succeed in this endeavor as well as did on the basketball court.

But his decision to return to the game has changed that in many respects.

First, despite recent assurance from some medical experts that Magic has virtually no chance of infecting fellow players, the fact remains that such an event is possible. If Magic only collides with another player chasing a loose ball--which a great competitor like Magic has been known to do--gaping wounds and fingernail scratches on both players are not out of the question.

Second, Magic is simply seeking more glory--and he even admits it. As Magic told The Boston Globe last week: "When you're not with a team, you miss stuff. And you miss the competition. The crowd. Now I have a chance to have that one more time. All of it is going to be great. I'll bottle it. I'll put a cap on it. And I'll never let go."

That's strange, Magic. I don't think too many athletes would have a problem "putting a cap on" five NBA championships and three league Most Valuable Player Awards--and just walking away. You had your glory days. Be happy for the career you did have.

Furthermore, Magic, you didn't play in a single regular season game. Why should you have played in the All-Star game, which is reserved for the players who have performed the best in the first half of the season?

As for the Olympics, no one more than I would love to see Magic and Larry Bird team up in competition--I've always dreamed of such a day. But not like this. Why don't we just invite Wilt and Kareem to join Team USA as well?

THE most compelling argument against Magic's return, however, concerns his role as a worldwide figure in combating the spread of AIDS. With an appointment to President Bush's AIDS Commission, Magic officially became a messenger to society--and especially to children.

But by returning to the court and living in the spotlight, Magic is truly saying: "Well, kids, in November I told you to practice safe sex or you will end up like me. But to tell you the truth, I'm fine. You don't need to be as careful anymore."

While I don't doubt Magic's sincerity in wanting to assist in slowing down the AIDS epidemic, I do believe he has lost his focus.

Even if, after every game, he was to make a public service announcement promoting safe sex, most teenagers would only remember that he is still able to play basketball.

In fact, when Magic accepted his MVP award on television after yesterday's game, he passed up such an opportunity to promote safe sex. Instead, he delivered a different message. He said that by competing in the All-Star game, he demonstrated that the public does not need to fear people with AIDS or treat them differently.

There is no doubt that the unwarranted fear of AIDS victims still exists in society--and must be addressed. But Magic could get that point across to the world in many other ways without bouncing a basketball.

Unfortunately, if Magic continues this basketball fantasy, teenagers are probably going to forget that he ever contracted the disease. The possible springboard to battle the spread of AIDS will be lost.

Magic, I understand why you want those last bits of glory. But in this case, you are only thinking of yourself. The overall costs of your return to society simply don't justify your personal benefits.

Don't get me wrong--if I were selfish, I would love nothing more than to watch you dazzle the basketball world for another five years. I oohed and aahed yesterday with everybody else while watching your patented no-look-behind-the-back passes and exhilarating 25-point performance.

But I'm thinking of the bigger picture. Of the maximum impact you could have in the world's fight against AIDS. And so should you.

For someone who has been such a fine decision-maker throughout your career--both on the fast break and in the public eye--you should reconsider your decision.

It's time for you hang up your shoes for good. See you in the Hall of Fame.