Gov. Complicates Democratic Race

Non-Candidate Gathering Support

By Brian D. Ellison, Crimson Staff Writer

Although New York Gov. Mario M. Cuomo reiterated last night that he would not seek the Democratic nomination, his words could not help but complicate the already unpredictable New Hampshire primary.

Cuomo certainly sounded like a man running for national office during most of his speech, as he discussed welfare programs, trade issues and the deficit.

And Cuomo was on the attack against George Bush, who officially announced his candidacy for re-election today after months of making campaign appearances.

"[Bush] honestly believes you do not need a significant change of course in this country," Cuomo said. "He is wrong, he is wrong."

"That's why we must have a Democrat," Cuomo continued. "That's why one of these five [candidates] must succeed."

Cuomo said that when he was first approached about being drafted as a "favorite son" candidate, he encouraged his supporters to help other candidates instead.

"Go to all the other candidates and make sure they get on the ballot in our state," Cuomo said he told the leaders.

Cuomo said he does not agree with those who say none of the Democrats in the race is electable.

"People are confusing familiarity with real political value," Cuomo said, adding that he believes "a strong candidate will emerge."

Cuomo stopped short of predicting which candidate that would be, and again refused to disavow supporters who would like it to be him.

"In my own state they're saying lousy things about me," Cuomo said. "If they want to say nice things in New Hampshire, I'm going to encourage it."

At least a few Democrats seem to have become impatient with the governor's indecisive stance. One man, standing next to a dozen Cuomo supporters with campaign signs, displayed a poster carrying a poem directed to Cuomo.

The poem's last four lines read, "In or out, you egotistical tot; take a shit or get off the pot."

The ranks of Cuomo supporters may be growing. The governor has clearly been aided by indecision among Democratic voters, 58 percent of whom said in a recent poll that they had notyet decided on a candidate.

Support for Cuomo as a write-in candidate grewamong New Hampshire Democrats from two to sixpercent in a recent polls by The Boston Globe.

In the polls, voters were read a list ofdeclared candidates and asked "for whom they wouldvote if the primary were held tomorrow." Sixpercent of those surveyed volunteered Cuomo'sname, which was not on the list.

Others have speculated that the rise of formerMassachusetts Sen. Paul E. Tsongas over ArkansasGov. Bill Clinton has encouraged support for Cuomofrom those who do not see Tsongas as electable ona national scale