Reich Defends Gov. Clinton's Draft Record

By Joe Mathews, Crimson Staff Writer

Democratic presidential candidate Bill Clinton expressed worry in September 1969 that he would be drafted that fall, a Kennedy School faculty member said in an interview yesterday.

Robert B. Reich, a lecturer in public policy, attended Oxford on a Rhodes scholarship during the academic years 1968 and 1969--the same years that Clinton, now the Arkansas governor, studied there on the same fellowship.

"He was sure he was going to be drafted," said Reich, who was assigned to the same Oxford college as Clinton. "He did not even take permanent digs [living quarters] in the fall of 1969."

"He doubled up with several of us," Reich added. "That's why this entire controversy is so absurd."

Reich said that, contrary to news reports that Clinton may have misled his local draft board in order to avoid serving in the Vietnam War, the governor was forthright about his intentions to make himself available for military service.

The statements made by Reich, a personal friend of Clinton's who advises the candidate on economic and social policy, reflect similar points made by John Hopkins professor Michael Mandelbaum in an op-ed piece in Wednesday's New York Times.

In that article, Mandelbaum wrote that Massachusetts Superior Court Judge Richard Stearns and Time magazine editor-at-large Strobe Talbott--both Rhodes Scholars at the time--said the governor did not rent an apartment at Oxford in the fall of 1969 because he thought he would be drafted.

Talbott and Stearns could not be reached for comment last night.

Clinton, once the front-runner in New Hampshirepolls, has lost ground to former MassachusettsSen. Paul E. Tsongas since reports surfaced twoweeks ago that the Arkansas governor dodged thedraft during the Vietnam War.

According to yesterday's New York Times,Clinton was classified 1-A (available for thedraft) in March 1968, but was allowed by his localdraft board to attend Oxford on a RhodesScholarship.

Clinton passed a draft physical in England inFebruary 1969, but in August, faced with theprospect of entering the draft, the governor toldhis draft board that he would enter the ArmyReserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC) program atthe University of Arkansas in the fall of 1970instead.

But Clinton, who had returned to Oxford, sayshe changed his mind and had his late stepfathernotify the ROTC program in October that he wantedto be let out of the agreement. After ROTCinformed the draft board, the governor wasreclassified 1-A on October 30.

On December 1, Clinton received a high lotterynumber. He was never called. On December 2,Clinton applied to Yale Law School.

Several news organizations, including The NewYork Times, have suggested Clinton misled hisdraft board and never intended to enter ROTC orthe University of Arkansas Law School. Accordingto these news organizations, the governor optednot to enroll in the officers' training programonce it became clear that he would not be drafted.

But Reich said Clinton, while planning inspring 1970 to attend law school in his homestate, was still worried about being drafted.

Reich, who, at 4'11", was found too short formilitary service, said he first met Clinton on aboat going to England in fall 1968. Reich saidthat while at Oxford, he and other RhodesScholars, including Clinton, talked often aboutVietnam.

"It's important that you understand the contextof the time. By 1969, the Vietnam War was totallydiscredited," said Reich. "Most young men whocould avoid the draft did so."

And, even then, Reich, author of the bookThe Work of Nations, remembers beingimpressed by Clinton.

"Bill and I talked about his career in politicsalmost from the first day I met him," Reich said.

"A Rhodes Scholar who could have made enormousamounts of money...but who had chosen to dedicatehis life to public service at the age of 23was--and is--exceptionable and commendable.