Candidates' Spouses Play Major Roles In Campaigns

By Alessandra M. Galloni, Special to The Crimson

HOLLIS, N.H.--First Lady Barbara Bush stopped to acknowledge her many supporters here yesterday, shaking hands, signing autographs and offering hugs after a forum at the local high school.

But the handshaking did not last long before security guards forced her to exit the room and the applause and join her husband George, waiting outside.

Bush, who is seeking a second term as First Lady, has been campaigning extensively in the Granite state and appears to have captured the hearts of the voters much more than her husband in his Presidential campaign.

In fact, in the last days of the New Hampshire campaign with every candidate seeking as much exposure as possible, the spouses of the Presidential candidates have been contributing more and more. And, for the many undecided voters, the spouses may be an influential factor when they go to the polls today.

Bush has made the most appearances here in N.H., even travelling on her own Saturday to the Continental Academy of Hair Design in Hudson and to several private residences.

During President Bush's forum at Hollis High School yesterday, Barbara Bush was prominently seated beside Governor Judd Gregg and was mentioned often, each time receiving overwhelming applause. In response to a question about his education program President Bush turned to the First Lady. "I got my wife to demonstrate her concern by reading to the kids," said George Bush. "Barbara's out there and I'm trying to help her as much as I can."

The forum spectators and residents of this town agreed that Barbara Bush is a great political asset to the president because of her popularity with voters across the country. "I have a strong feeling for her," said Alvin N. Hartman, 76, a retired investment counsellor form Newton, Mass. "I think she's big asset to the President--a real mother figure."

The majority of her supporters, and even non-Bush fans, agreed that her decent, mother-like demeanor is very appealing to the general public and helps reinforce the President's credibility on family issues.

"There's that sense of authenticity and genuineness about her," said Tony Rzeczycki, 38, a Hollis resident and high school teacher. "Certainly, she's a tremendous political benefit to him."

The popularity of their wives is definitely an asset to all the married candidates, as it helps not only their human image, but also reinforces their stands on many of the issues.

"The importance of the spouse varies with the candidates," Nicki Tsongas told The Crimson in an interview after her husband's forum in Exeter yesterday. "But it does add a sense of who the candidate is."

Although she said that if her husband is elected, she will discontinue working as an attorney, she said she thinks the First Lady should maintain her independence while performing the important duties of the job. She added, however, that since her husband was the one running for office, the focus should be on his ideas.

"Paul is the candidate and he ultimately decides the issues," she said. "I willingly say my opinion, but I don't volunteer it."

Support for Nicki Tsongas was widespread at the Exeter forum.

"She's very impressive," said Dehdan A. Miller '93-'94. "He always quips that she should run and that [the voters] should vote for her because of the public presence she has."

The same support has been given to Clinton's wife Hillary, who was introduced as the next First Lady of the United States at the Clinton celebration after debate party on Sunday. When asked by The Crimson what he thought of being called "Hillary's husband," the Democratic presidential candidate answered, "I love it."

"There's no one in the world more qualified to be first lady than my wife, and I'm honored that she is my wife," Clinton said.

And indeed Hillary Clinton appears to be a strong asset to the Arkansas Governor, who has been plagued by questions of his marital fidelity.

"One of the factors in making my decision [to support Clinton] is I believe that Hillary will make an excellent First Lady," said Michael J. Lombardo, from Cherry Hill, N.J. "She is an excellent model for today's youth."

If candidates are playing up their wives some supporters of the unmarried candidates are worried that their candidates may be hurt. But Beth A. Pherriault a staunch supporter of Nebraska Senator Bob Kerrey said the fact that her candidate was not married had no bearing on her choice.

"Frankly, we could save a lot of money if they didn't have a wife," Pherriault said. "I mean look at Nancy."