Council to Invite Squeeze

Makes Offer of $12,500 for Spring Rock Performance

By Mark W. Brown, Crimson Staff Writer

The Undergraduate Council unanimously approved a bid last night to invite Squeeze to perform at the "Rock for Shelter" charity concert this spring.

The big authorizes concert organizers to offer the Rock group $12,500 to perform in Bright Hockey Arena on April 25. If Squeeze does not accept the offer, an invitation will be extended to Big Audio Dynamite or the Indigo Girls.

Social committee co-chair Tree F. Loong '94 said Squeeze--which is known for such hits as "Pulling Mussels From A Shell" and "Black Coffee in Bed"--has already expressed interest in a spring appearance at Harvard.

"We've talked to promoters who have said that they are presently accepting bids for the late April time period," said Loong, who spearheaded the bid.

Squeeze offered to play here two years ago for the same price but the council could not make the arrangements in time, Loong said.

Figures on a Beach and the Barley Boys were scheduled to perform in the original Rock for Shelter concert and are now scheduled to open for Squeeze.

Total expenditures for the event come to $22,050, with total revenues projected at $32,200. The event's planners said at least $10,000 in proceeds will go to unspecified homeless shelters.

Last year's concert grossed $15,000, with more than $7,000 donated to charity, officials said.

In addition, council officials said the anticipated Penn and Teller performance slated for March 17 is now in doubt. The council offered the comedy and magic act $16,000 earlier this semester to appear here.

"If Penn and Teller don't respond this week, I don't think we can feasibly have them come," Loong said. "I don't really know what's going on with them."

In other business, the council voted unanimously to approve a bylaw ammendment to the council's constitution.

Sponsors of the bylaw ammendment said it adds procedural safeguards against potential abuses of the "new business" privilege, which came under fire three weeks ago in the controversial Spin Doctors resolution.

Some council members complained that the Spin Doctors bill, which allocated $20 to a concert pri- vately organized by Treasurer Michael P. Beys'94, only passed because it was presented as newbusiness and thus circumvented possible objectionsin the financial committee or executive board.

The ammendment stipulates that a copy of anyresolution presented under the category of newbusiness must by distributed to all councilmembers before the debate. The ammendment alsorequires such resolutions to be "time critical."

"Hopefully, this will prevent the council frompassing any resolutions without proper review ordebate," said Vice Chair Malcolm A. Heinicke '93