City Will Investigate Leaks to Press

Committee Formed to Determine Local Media's Inside Sources

By Melissa Lee, Crimson Staff Writer

In response to a recent outbreak of leaks of confidential city documents to the local press, the City Council last night commissioned its Leak Committee to investigate who the media's "informed sources" are.

Councillor William H. Walsh, head of the committee, which was appointed last month, said the body will most likely hire a third party investigator. If necessary, the city will use lie detector tests to pinpoint the leaks, Walsh said.

He also said the committee will investigate the legality of leaking information to the press and that unless the person confesses, the committee will "do what has to be done."

Walsh said the committee will also seek to determine what rights the public and media have to city documents.

While Walsh was joined by six other councillors in passing the motion, Councillors Alice K. Wolf and Francis H. Duehay '55 said blaming the press was a "red herring issue."

"I think it's foolish when political bodies try to investigate the press," Duehay said.

Duehay and Wolf were the only two councillors to vote against commissioning a Leak Committee investigation.

In a half hour tirade against leaks made to The Boston Globe, Walsh denied reports that he used his political influence on City Manager Robert W. Healy to hire police recruits with criminal records.

He added that the Globe reports lack credibility because they do not specifically name sources and only attribute rumor-provoking information to "city officials" or "informed sources."

"I was shocked when I read the Globe article," Walsh said. "I couldn't believe that anyone would stoop to that level."

The most recent leak was of a confidential memo from Police Commissioner Perry L. Anderson to City Manager Robert W. Healy. In the memo. Anderson threatened to resign if Healy forced him to hire police recruits, with criminal records, the Globe reported.

Walsh, who has been the target of many Globe reports, including one accusing him of fraudulent real estate dealings, moved the council form the Leak Committee last month.

"It should be very interesting, what the Leak Committee will find out," said Walsh.