Newspaper Premieres

Eagle's Eye to Examine City Government

By Sunah N. Kim, Contributing Reporter

A new Cambridge newspaper is aiming to defend property owners rights and to address issues of government regulation, according to its founders.

The newspaper, From the Eagle's Eye, made its debut in January and is planned to appear on a quarterly basis. It boasts a volunteer staff of three writers and a photographer, including co-founders Lenore M. Schloming '59 and Skip Schloming.

The paper--which is funded by donations, subscriptions and advertisements--is dedicated to reexamining the government's role in the private sphere, which the Schlomings believe is often excessive.

"We feel that freedom comes from autonomy on the small, local level such as the family, with little intervention from the larger level," said Skip Schloming, a Cambridge remodeling designer.

The founders said they hope to spark debate and inspire property owners to lobby for their rights. The first edition of From the Eagle's Eye, sporting the banner headline, "Cambridge government attacks homeowner," highlighted allegedly unfair measures used by the Cambridge Rent Control Board against small property owners.

Response to the Eagle's Eye has in general been very encouraging, said Lenore Schloming, a rent control property owner and writer.

"I like it. It's obvious that a lot of thorough investigative reporting was involved." said Denise Jillson, co-chair of the anti-rent control Small Property Owners Association.

But not surprisingly, pro-rent control activists in the city had a dramatically different opinion of the publication.

"I only read the lead story, but from what I read, it appeared to be a one-sided trumpeting of a radical property rights view of Cambridge and the world," said Michael Turk, co-chair of the Cambridge Tenants Union.

The Schlomings said they hope the paper communicates their belief that bureaucratic control has overwhelmed the city. In future issues, they plan to question government in-tervention in education.

Lenore Schloming said From the Eagle's Eye developed from her work with a homeowners' newsletter.

After an article she wrote helped exempt one landlord from the rent control laws, Lenore Schloming said she began to feel that she could have a positive impact on the community.