Law Prof. Bell May Resign Next Week

By Natasha H. Leland, Crimson Staff Writer

Professor of Law Derrick Bell, who went on unpaid leave from Harvard Law School to protest the absence of women of color on the school's faculty, may announce his resignation within the next week.

Bell, currently a visiting professor at New York University (NYU) Law School, said yesterday that he may leave Harvard for good. "I'm still mulling it over...I'm in the last throes of deciding," he said.

Bell said he would probably announce his decision before a gathering of law students. He added that he would definitely inform Law School officials soon so as not to cause scheduling problems.

Bell said his main reason for deciding not to return would be the school's inaction. "Nothing has changed and that's a disappointment," said Bell. Since he left in April of 1990, no minority faculty members have beenhired.

The law professor said he believes it isespecially important for Harvard to hire a womanof color. "Because Harvard is Harvard that absence[of a woman of color] is significant in a negativesense," he said.

Dean of the Law School Robert C. Clark couldnot be reached for comment.

Law School spokesperson Michael Chmura said theschool hopes Bell will return and will continue towork on finding Black women faculty members.

Even if Bell does break off ties with the LawSchool, Chmura said, he would still be able tocome back. "He already left in '80 and returned in'86," Chmura said. "Other professors have left andcome back."

Bell said the tenuring of a Black woman nowwould affect his decision. "I would be influencedif Professor Anita Allen or someone else receiveda tenure offer," he said.

"I would have thought she'd have gotten tenurelong ago," said Bell, who called Allen "anoutstanding individual."

The Law School faculty recently decided totable the issue of whether to hire Allen,according to Charisse A. Carney, a third-year lawstudent. "It's 99.9 percent sure she won't be[tenured] by the end of this year," said Carney,who is president of the Black Law StudentsAssociation.

"I don't think we should make decisions underthreat," said Professor of Law Charles Fried. "ButI would regret it if [Bell] didn't come back," headded.

Bell said he is not sure what he will do if hedecides to sever ties with Harvard. "I've had apleasant visit [at NYU], but the future is stillup in the air," he said.

Bell also discussed the upcoming trial in whichHarvard Law students are attempting to sue theschool for discriminatory hiring practices. "Ithink it's a worthwhile case," he said.

Laura E. Hankins, one of the members of thecoalition that is suing the Law School, said Bellhas been particularly supportive. "He knows thatone of the reasons he was [originally hired] wasbecause of student activism," she said.

Bell said he appreciates the support studentsat the Law School have given him. "Students havedone as much as they could. They can't go out andblock Mass. Ave. "he said.

Carney said she believes law students supportBell. "I hope he comes back," she said. "I'mextremely upset and disheartened by the inaction[on the part of the faculty]."

In an interview with The Crimson last week,President Neil L. Rudenstine said Bell had not yetspoken to him about a final decision.

"This is very much a matter of his own personalchoice," said Rudenstine.

Rudenstine said he believes the issue ofdiversity is an important one to faculty membersand administrators at the Law School.

"I think the Law School has really worked veryhard at that issue, and continues to work hard atit," he said. "But obviously, everyone there hasto make his or her own judgment as to how theyassess the track record, and what they want to doabout it.