Mr. Chips And a Couple of War Flicks

Video Reviews

Goodbye, Mr. Chips

Robert Donat garnered a Best Actor award for his well-cast portrayal of an English schoolmaster. A lonely and shy Charles Chipping (Donat) begins at the Brookfield School in 1870 as a young Latin teacher. Over his 58-year tenure at Brookfield, Chipping, endearingly called "Chips," rises to become the heart and soul of the venerable institution. On a hiking trip in Switzerland, Chipping meets and subsequently falls in love with Katherine Bridges (Greer Garson), Katherine adds the emotion and romance that has been missing in Chips' life.

The film, adapted from a James Hilton best-seller, captures the growth of an individual in a static society. The film paints the contrast between the formal and intimidating nature of the school and Chips' own warm personality. The slow movement is more than compensated for by the perfect production and direction.

Mrs. Miniver

Greer Garson and Walter Pidgeon star in a 1942 classic, portraying the heroic British effort in World War II. The film features a model family in which the father, mother and son make their respective contributions to the war effort. Director William Wyler simultaneously develops two themes: the devastation of the war and the reluctance of the British to forgo their everyday lives. The engrossing melodrama brings home the message of the effects of the war on the homefront.

While the original role of the movie cinematic propaganda may be dated, the screenplay continues to be captivating, as over the course of the movie, the viewer becomes tied to the fate of Garson. Mrs. Miniver won six academy awards in 1942, including Best Picture and Best Actress.

Beyond the Walls

Director Uri Barbash depicts an Israeli prison holding both Jewish and Arab prisoners. The obvious animosity between the inmates is contrasted with their joint contempt for the prison administration. The Jewish and Arab leaders come to the realization that the jail wardens thrive on the inter-ethnic competition that they intentionally foster. Arnon Zadok and Muhamed Bakri are wellcast as the brutal leaders of the two inmate groups. Their rivalry climaxes during a bloody fight, after which they join together in a hunger strike.

Beyond the Walls asks the vital question of who the real enemy is. While the plot runs a typical route, Barbash succeeds in portraying many of the brutal realities of prison life. Israeli pop singer Boaz Sharabi makes a cameo appearance as an incarcerated musician. The moving film received an Academy Award nomination for the Best Foreign Film of 1984.