First-Year Dean List Is Narrowed To Ten

Jewett to Announce Selection in March

By D. RICHARD De silva, Crimson Staff Writer

The University will appoint a new first-year dean from a current list of 10 candidates by the end of next month, Dean of the College L. Fred Jewett '57 said yesterday.

Jewett said the final candidates were chosen from a pool of 150 applicants and have a variety of backgrounds, but he refused to divulge particular names.

List Includes Outsiders

The list includes individuals inside and outside the College administration, he said.

Henry C. Moses stepped down as first-year dean last year to become headmaster of the Trinity School in New York.

His assistant dean, Virginia L. Mackay-Smith '78, has been serving as acting dean.

A 12-member student committee and a 12-member faculty committee have been conducting separate searches to fill the post.

Each committee will suggest several candidates, but the final decision rests with Jewett, President Neil L. Rudenstine and Dean of the Faculty Jeremy R. Knowles.

Student search committee members interviewed yesterday expressed satisfaction with their role.

"The way we've dealt with the candidates is the same as the way the faculty deals with the candidates," said Mukesh Prasad '93, coordinator of the student committee.

The committee has interviewed 10 candidates with Jewell present, and its members insist that the faculty has noted the concerns expressed by students.

No Strict Qualifications

Jewett said he has set no strict qualifications for the job but would like to find a candidate with "significant experience in a particular academic field, teaching or administrations."

"I'd like to have someone with a Ph.D. and educational training in addition to some administrative experience," he added.

Jewett said there is no particular preference for internal candidates.