Adams Dining Ban Spurs Little Change

Dining Rules Will Not Be Altered

By Yin Y. Nawaday, Crimson Staff Writer

Though Adams House recently closed its dining hall to interhouse diners at lunchtime, Dining Services Director Michael P. Berry said yesterday that fears of severe overcrowding in nearby Houses have proved unfounded.

On the whole, Berry said, the house dining system is working smoothly. And neither Quincy nor Leverett House has indicated that it will impose interhouse restrictions of its own.

Adams House Master Robert Kiely ended interhouse for lunch earlier this month citing overcrowding. According to Berry Adams, conveniently located near the Yard, sometimes served lunch to more than 600 students during peak hours.

"It's clear that Adams House was way above its capacity," Berry said.

In addition, to students who live in houses in the Radcliffe Quad, Berry pointed out that residents of the DeWolfe St. overflow housing complex frequently came to Adams House rather than making the trek back to their own houses.

Still, students and dining officials in Quincy and Leverett Houses say that crowds have not been extreme.

Most Quincy residents interviewed yesterday said they hadn't noticed much of an influx in their dining hall.

"I didn't notice any extra people," said Robert P. Kloecker '94.

Frank Dalaklis, unit manager for the Leverett dining hall, said that there has been somewhat of an added strain but that the dining hall has continued to function relatively evenly during peak hours.

"I really don't feel that it's a major problem," said Dalaklis. "We just have a good steady flow, rarely a backup."

Overcrowding problems tend to arise during inclement weather, when DeWolfe residents flock to his dining hall, Dalaklis said. On those days, the problem is not so much the waiting time on line, but the limited seating capacity.

"Let's face it--it's the student who gets stuck holding the try," Dalaklis said.

Leverett is aided by an efficient two-line system to move the meal line along, and Berry said that Quincy's single file setup may be remodeled this summer to speed things up.

At the urging of the Undergraduate Council,Berry has also taken steps to ensure that busystudents will be able to grab lunch.

Lunch hours at Eliot, North and Quincy Houseshave been extended 15 extra minutes for studentswho have class until 2 p.m.

Council Vice Chair Malcolm A. Heinicke `93, whoproposed the plan, said the biggest objection tothe extension of lunchtime would leave less timefor the dining hall staff to prepare dinner.

But Tommy B. Mercier, supervisor of the Quincydining hall, said "[The staff] is here anyway.There's no overtime involved."

Mercier said that about ten people have startedshowing up for lunch during the extra 15 minutes.

Patrick R. George '93 of North House said he isglad that he will now have time to return to hisown house for lunch.

"It's nice to be able to eat in your ownhouse," George said. "The river house are alwaystoo damn crowded.