Cagers Double Their Pleasure With Big Red

Women Rebound, Win 70-66

By Justin R.P. Ingersoll, Contributing Reporter

It wasn't pretty, but it was a win.

Last night the Harvard women's basketball team overcame cold shooting and a seven-hour trip to Ithaca, N.Y. to defeat Cornell, 70-66.

With the victory, Harvard (11-11, 8-2 Ivy) extended its winning streak to seven games and held on to second place in the Ivy League. First-place Brown dispatched Penn, 71-65.

The Crimson came out flat and trailed the Big Red (7-16, 3-8 Ivy) at the end of the first half, 34-27.

The score wasn't bad, considering that Harvard was a miserable 28.1 percent from the field, via 9-32 shooting.

Luckily for the Crimson, Cornell couldn't find the basket either. The Big Red Shot a mediocre 41.7 percent from the floor during the half.

After the intermission, however, the two teams reverted to type.

Harvard shot a scorching 69.5 percent from the field in the second half, while Cornell lapsed into its former self, shooting 29 percent.

Junior center Debbie Flandermeyer tallied a game-high 18 points and freshman Nikole Cronk contributed 14 points. Cronk was 4-4 from beyond the arc.

Cronk has been on a hot steak of last, scoring 12,13 and 15 in her last three games. Against Cornell, she recorded her 14 points in just 17 minutes.

Senior point guard Maura Healey had 12 points and 3 assists. Junior Erin Maher Added 11. Shooting 3 for 5 from long range.

Flandermeyer and freshman forward Tammy Butler hauled in nine rebounds apiece.

Big Red Forward Erin Iverson led Cornell with 13 points on 5 for 13 shooting. Marie Watson was the Big Red's leading rebounder with seven.