HAA Nominates Slate Of Overseers

By Marion B. Gammill, Crimson Staff Writer

The Harvard Alumni Association (HAA) recently announced the slate of candidates for this year's Board of Overseers election.

Five candidates are elected each spring to serve six-year terms on the 30-member governing board.

Officials said yesterday that the Committee to Nominate Candidates for Overseer and Elected Directors had nominated six men and three women for the position of overseer and five men and four women for the position of HAA director. Alumni will choose six candidates from each group, and the University will announce and the University will announce the results on Commencement Day June 4.

Overseer nominees who work in academia include: David L. Johnston '63, principal and Vice-President of McGill University; Lauren B. Resnick '57, director of the Learning, Research and Development Center of the University of Pittsburgh; William J. Utter '49, professor of biochemistry at the University of California at San Francisco; and Alma H. Young '69, vice chancellor of the University of New Orleans.

Other overseer nominees are: Peter A. Brooke '52, chief executive officer of Advent Corporation; Daniel C. Morales attorney general of Texas; Leo F. Mullen Jr. '64 president and chief executive officer of American National Bank and Trust Company of Chicago; Jane Circuit court of Appeals in Delaware; and Robert E. Ruben '60, co-senior partner of Goldman, Sachs and Company.

HAA director prospects include: Eric L. Eversley '73, executive director of the Cherry Creek School District auxiliary services division in Colorado; Linda B. Goldberg, community volunteer; Nehama Jacob '74, director of Price Waterhouse Corporate Finances Services; Yuichi Katoh '61, director of the Multinational Investment Corporation Tokyo; and Stephen J. O'brien '77, an orthopedic surgeon at the Hospital for Special Surgery, New York City.

Other candidates for director are: Carla M. Okiwage '65, executive director of the Seattle King Country Housing Development Consortium; Philip J. Peters '67, senior physician at the Little Rock Diagnostic Clinic; Harry L.Shipman '69, director of the Center for TeachingEffectiveness at the University of Delaware,Newark; and Karen C. Van Winkle '80, sales managerat Herman Miller in Boston.

The University usually asks alumni to choosefive overseers from a list of eight candidates.But this year, the mid-term departure of overseerRichard A. Smith '46 has created an additionalopening.

December Arrival

In December, Smith assumed a post on theHarvard Corporation, the University's seniorgoverning board. Smith resigned from the Board ofOverseers after three-and-a-half years.

Overseers usually serve for six years anddirectors for three.

Overseer and HAA director elections are heldannually. All candidates must have graduated fromthe College or any Harvard graduate school.

The Harvard-Radcliffe Alumni Against Apartheid(HRAAA) regularly puts forward an alternativeslate of candidates who want the University todivest its holdings in South Africa.

HRAAA's announcement usually comes shortlyafter HAA's. HRAAA officials could not be reachedfor comment yesterday

December Arrival