B.U. Scrapes Past Northeastern, 5-4

By Jay K. Varma, Special to The Crimson

BOSTON--It's becoming as much of a tradition as the Beanpot itself.

Boston University advanced to the finals of the February classic last night for the eighth straight time, making it nine times in the last ten years for the Terriers.

Of course, it didn't come as easy as usual. It took the Terriers the entire sixty minutes to shake off the pesky and aggressive Northeastern Huskies.

Husky forward Sebastien LaPlante tied the game at four, 11:49 into the third period. He stuffed in a rebound off B.U. goalie Scott Cashman.

Both teams had their chances over the next several minutes, but it was B.U. that finally broke the stalemate when Terrier forward David Sacco, positioned perfectly on the right side of the net, slapped in a rebound to push his team ahead for good.

'Not Worried'

"We weren't worried about overtime, we just wanted to play those last three minutes as close as we could," Sacco said. "We were lucky we got that rebound. The puck just hit my stick."

B.U. Coach Jack Parker, a veteran of 'Pot finals, said the game was just what he expected--hard hitting, high scoring, and close, very close.

"I think the whole game was typical Beanpot," Parker said. "We were very much in control until [Northeastern's] second goal. We were kind of back on our heels and they took it to us."