Mather Co-Masters To Resign Positions

Williamsons to Leave After Six Years

By Natasha H. Leland, Crimson Staff Writer

Mather House Co-Masters Jeffrey G. and Nancy P. Williamson yesterday announced that they plan to retire from house life at the end of the year.

In an interview yesterday, the couple said they have mixed feelings about leaving Mather, where they have resided for the past six years.

"It has been the most exciting, challenging and enriching experience I've ever had," said Jeffrey Williamson, who is Bell professor of economics.

"It's overwhelming, very hard to say 'good-bye,'" said Nancy Williamson. "It will be hard to leave, but [house life] has its ups and downs. There's not much time for anything else."

The masters said they have been considering the move for more than a year and decided to leave because they want more private time.

Jeffrey Williamson said he plans to use his free time to lose weight, cook, go to the movies and "sleep for more than five-and-a-half hours every night."

The couple said they will leave Mather with fond memories and important lessons.

"The daily experiences are the most significant, like the evenings in the dining hall," Jeffrey Williamson said.

Nancy Williamson, a senior programmer analyst in the Sociology Department, cited the annual student weekend in Maine as an especially rewarding experience.

Many students interviewed at din- ner in Mather last night said they weresaddened by the masters' departure.

"I think it's a shame. We won't find anyonequite like the Williamsons," said George I. Fan'92. "Nancy is a person you can go to. She knows alot about the house."

Several undergraduates spoke of theWilliamsons' personal involvement in house life.

Jennifer L. White '92 described how NancyWilliamson often woke up at 6 a.m. to row with theintramural crew team.

The Williamsons were known for their Fridayopen houses and placed advertisements every yearin The Crimson inviting graduating seniors to dropby.

"They view students as individuals instead of agroup," said Trey B. Moores '94.

"You can talk to them. They're receptive to theproblems you've been having," added Jennifer L.Schank '92.

Several students said the Williamsons were notafraid to discuss sensitive issues, particularlyminority and women's issues.

"They try to encourage an open atmosphere,"said Mitch C. Bailin '92.

"When date rape became an issue, they were veryinvolved," added Roland L. Dunbrack, 28, one ofMather's assistant senior tutors.

The Williamsons voiced confidence aboutMather's future without them.

"Mather will go on. The impact of masters canbe significant but not critical. The students willdetermine the future of the house," said JeffreyWilliamson. "We feel we're leaving it with a goodsense of itself. The members are relaxed,tolerant.