HUPD Responds to Dunster House Incident

By Richelle Nessralla, Contributing Reporter

A Dunster House junior allegedly harassed a female student and struck another student early yesterday morning according to the Harvard University Police Department.

When contacted yesterday, however, two of the students involved took issue with the police department's account of the incident.

The police said the incident was a domestic dispute between two students that escalated into assault and battery when another undergraduate entered the confrontation.

According to police reports, Nicholas W. Saparoff '93 was allegedly harassing Winne December Love '93 when a third student, not identified by the police, a attempted to intervene and was struck by him.

In a telephone conversation yesterday, Saparoff disputed the police report.

"There was no assault and battery, just a lot of yelling," he said. "My exgirlfriend's roommate went crazy and called the cops. It's just a sticky situation."

Love refused to make a statement concerning the events, and said only that the version given by the police was neither completely true, nor completely false.

Love said that Saparoff did hit someone, but that he was not the only aggressor.

Saparoff departed the scene before the police arrived on the scene just after 3:00 a.m. There were no witnesses, no arrests were made and no charges have been filed, police officials said.

The only action taken was to advise the students involved of their rights to file charges in a domestic disturbance.

Carol Finn, assistant to the Dunster House masters, had not yet heard of the incident when contacted yesterday. The masters are out of the country, she said.