Gorbachev to Visit in May

Former Soviet President Makes Plans to Speak at K-School

By Marion B. Gammill, Crimson Staff Writer

Former President of the Soviet Union Mikhail S. Gorbachev will visit Harvard in May, University officials said yesterday.

Peter Costa, University spokesperson, confirmed that Gorbachev will speak at the Kennedy School of Government on May 14.

"There were several initiatives [to bring Gorbachev to campus]. We just heard about it today," he said.

Albert Carnesale, dean of the Kennedy School, said he is "delighted" that Gorbachev will come to the school. "We've had an outstanding invitation for some time [but] it was just decided today," he said.

"He plans to be in the country at that time and will be in Boston to give a speech at the John F. Kennedy Library and he expressed interest [in speaking]," said Carnesale.

Gorbachev will also meet with Sen. Edward M. Kennedy '54-'56 (D-Mass.) during the trip. "Senator Kennedy confirmed and was supportive of the idea," Carnesale said.

When asked about Gorbachev's agenda for the trip, Carnesale replied, "He agreed to come and meet with faculty and students. [We would like] to work out how to make it educational for both the faculty and students and for him."

"I would hope that he would address contemporary problems facing the former Soviet Union rather than simply looking backwards," Carnesale said.

However, the dean added that the details of Gorbachev's visit remain to be worked out.

Steven R. Singer, Kennedy School spokesperson, echoed Carnesale's statement. "We don't know too much right now. Some plans are still being arranged," he said.

According to Singer, University officials have been speaking with people at the Gorbachev Foundation/USA in California "for months."

"It looks like we are on his schedule--it will be firmed up over the next couple of months," said the Kennedy School spokesperson.

Singer said that Gorbachev will receive no monetary compensation for his speech. Gorbachev will also not be offered any honorary position at Harvard.

Otherwise, "we don't know too much right now," he added.

Gurney Professor of History and PoliticalScience Adam P. Ulam, who directs Harvard'sRussian Research Center, said yesterday that hehad not been informed of Gorbachev's formalacceptance but that he had "heard something" aboutthe visit.

"He's very welcome," said Ulam. "I would justlike to hear what he has to say about the currentsituation [in the former Soviet Union.]