It's a Wrap for Grapplers

Injuries, Illnesses Deny Crimson Successful Season

By Andrew J. Arends, Contributing Reporter

The Harvard wrestling team wrapped up its season last weekend with a strong ninth place finish at the Eastern Championships.

The Crimson's disappointing season record (8-10 overall, 0-5 Ivy) left a bitter taste in the mouth of Coach Jim Peckham and his wrestlers.

Peckham was especially unhappy.

"[Our season was like] a day that began bright and new, but was overshadowed by the dark clouds of injury and sickness," Peckham said. "Our record did not show the amount of talent on this team."

Because of injuries and illnesses ranging from herpes and the flu to torn rotator cuffs and strained knee ligaments, the Crimson rarely fielded a full-strength lineup this year.

Wrestlers often had to move up or down from their normal weight class to help fill out the team roster.

"The team wasn't really intact until Easterns, and then we performed very respectably," senior Co-Captain Mike Costanza said.

Costanza finished the season with a 10-11 record, and was 2-3 in Ivy matchups.

Peckham was especially disappointed in the failure of the Eastern coaches to vote to send senior and 134 pounder Sam Cole (14-4, 2-1 Ivy) to the NCAA Championships.

Cole finished third in what was widely regarded as the toughest weight class at Easterns, but was seventh in the balloting which selected six NCAA wild card entrants.

"Sam should have gone to nationals," Peckham said. "He earned it, and I can't believe the coaches didn't send him."

Cole was equally peeved.

"I trained really hard this year, and thought I was headed for All-American recognition," Cole said, "but I was slowed down by a torn rotator cuff, and then got a raw deal at Easterns."

Senior Co-Captain Aaron Danzig (1-1-2 Ivy, 6-3-4 overall) rarely wrestled in the varsity line-up, but filled in for injured Michael Warnick in February.

"I feel the season was pretty successful, if you look beyond our record. We had a lot of team spirit and unity, and also had a lot of fun," said Danzig.

Praise for Seniors

Peckham had nothing but high praise for departing seniors Cole, Costanza, Danzig, and John Pulvino.

"Costanza is an athlete I could not be prouder to have coached," Peckham said. "He is a credit to this school."

"Aaron Danzig stepped in when we needed him and was a terrific leader all season," Peckham continued, "and John Pulvino was always the first to put his hand in the air when I needed someone."

Peckham also felt optimistic for next year's campaign.

"We have the potential for a very good team," said Peckham. "However, I am desperately worried about depth. We cannot compete when we cannot fill our line-up."

"I am expecting great things from our rising juniors. Bill Counihan, Chris Sanzone, Zach Cooper, Frank Fronhofer, Mike Warnick and Sam Aoki all will be returning starters. I am also looking to returning seniors John Drosos and Josh Freshwater," said Peckham. "Hopefully the gods of wrestling will shine benevolently upon us."