More Anti-Asian Graffiti Appears On Poetry Board

Racist Phone Calls Also Continue

By Anna D. Wilde, Crimson Staff Writer

An officer of the Asian American Association (AAA) discovered two additional anti-Asian slurs on the Lamont Library poetry board late last week.

The latest racist comments follow another anti-Asian slur found three weeks ago on a poem on the board that was signed by "Lizbeth Chang." No one is registered at the University under that name.

Haewon Hwang '95, AAA's social chair and the person who reported the new graffiti, said she was angered by the derogatory remarks.

"What I saw were just random anti-Asian comments scribbled on the poetry board," she said. The poems appear to have no connection with Asians or Asian life.

The latest graffiti appeared on poems signed "Grady H. Hendrix" and "Michael Penn." Penn is the name of a songwriter and the poem might be lyrics from one of his songs, said Constance I. Chang '93, AAA copresident.

"Death to all chinks" and "Chinks suck" were written on the poems.

One or more anonymous callers have also recently made a series of harassing phone calls to students, many involving anti-Asian remarks.

AAA officers said the organization is reacting to the incidents by trying to inform members of the Harvard community about the extent of anti-Asian incidents here and nationwide.

AAA Co-President Mark H. Kim '94 said that an "educational pamphlet about anti-Asian violence in the U.S. and on the Harvard campus" will be door-dropped to all students tomorrow.

In addition, AAA officers submitted a letter toThe Crimson on the topic.

Dean of the College L. Fred Jewett '57 said theCollege will "support any efforts at education"that AAA chooses to make.

The organization is working with Assistant Deanfor Race Relations and Minority Affairs HildaHernandez-Gravelle and Harvard Police Chief PaulE. Johnson to formulate a reaction to the slursand to track down the perpetrators