Pastor Encourages Black Role Models

By Wendy A. Gribb, Contributing Reporter

Speaking to an audience of more than 30 Black undergraduates last night, a Boston minister urged Black Harvard students to serve as role models for underprivileged youths.

In a forum on the role of Black men in the community, the Rev. Eugene Rivers '83 of Dorchester said he felt compelled to dispel what he believes to be a prevailing myth that few Blacks are concerned with their "poorer brothers."

"Despite all claims to the contrary, there are young Black men who care about the community," Rivers said at the event, which was held in the Leverett House Junior Common Room.

Rivers, who was brought to campus by the Theta Iota chapter of the Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity and by the Black Men's Forum, stressed the importance of successful Black role models.

"Just being visible to Black youth makes a world of difference," Rivers said.

According to Rivers, the youngest generation of Blacks, consisting largely of youths raised in difficult environments, may be worse off economically than their parents, a trend unheard of since the days of slavery.

"A Black youth now cannot get a job because there is nothing he is literate enough to do," Rivers said.

In addition, Rivers said that many Blacks are in physical peril, citing statistics which indicate that Black teenagers are more than 50 times more likely than whites to contract some sexual diseases.

This risk plus gang wars and the drug trade have led some organizations to say that being a Black male is dangerous to one's health, according to Rivers.

But asserting the optimistic theme which pervaded his talk, Rivers said that his audience could make a difference.

"There are many things you Black men can do to help reverse the statistics," Rivers said.

"Unless Black middle class and elite begin serious discussions about the fate of the lower class," Rivers continued, "the only solution will be their death."

Rivers requested that Black men volunteer a fewhours of their time to help Black youths, even ifonly to "put it on [their] resumes."

"If one Black child's life is saved, it's worthit," Rivers said, arguing that the incentive whichspurs public service is irrelevant.

To emphasize his point, Rivers reflected on hisyears at the College, saying that Black activitieswere very popular but had little lasting effect onthe Boston Black community.

He said Blacks rarely "went over the bridge" tovisit Blacks on the Boston side of the CharlesRiver.

Rivers is actively involved with the DorchesterYouth Advocacy Program, which attempts to educateand support Black area youths.

Two probation officers from Dorchesteraccompanied Rivers, and spoke briefly before theminister opened the floor to questions.

CBS News, which followed Rivers throughoutBoston yesterday as he spoke at a number ofevents, covered last night's presentation.CrimsonSusannah RossThe Rev. EUGENE RIVERS '83 speaks to BlackUndergraduates.