USA's Top Goalie Key to Championship

HARVARD LACROSSE'S SARAH LEARY:

By Andrew J. Arends, Contributing Reporter

Harvard women's lacrosse Co-Captain Sarah Leary has that elusive je ne sais quoi that it takes to be the country's leading goalie.

"She has the mentality of a goalie," teammate junior Liz Berkey said. "When you meet her, you know immediately what position she plays."

What exactly is this mysterious intangible? Is it just good karma, or is it something more?

"You have to have sort of a different attitude as a goalie," Leary said. "You take a lot of physical and mental abuse. I don't want to say you have to be a little crazy, but..."

Leary, the current holder of the Ensign C. Marklin Kelly award as the top female college lacrosse goalie, actually began her career as a soccer goalie.

Fortunately for Harvard, she was encouraged to give lacrosse a try by the lacrosse coach at her high school, Middlesex.

"Everyone always asks me why I play goalie, but I really love it," Leary said. "The opportunity to be successful is really small, and when you do its amazing."

"It is also the ultimate team player position--I'm completely helpless without the defense," Leary continued, "and I'd like to think they are helpless without me. We have to work together."

While in high school, she was named to the all-league team while competing against future teammates such as fellow senior Elizabeth Hansen and Co-Captain Ceci Clark.

At Harvard, Leary started a few games as a freshman in 1989. She was in the net for every game of the 1990 season, which ended with an NCAA National Championship for the team, and first team All-Ivy honors for Leary.

"I really enjoy playing at Harvard," Leary said. "I have been surrounded by great people with very high standards who have challenged me beyond my expectations."

Last year, Leary was the starter as the team advanced once again to the NCAA tournament. Her efforts won her the Kelly award and first team All-American status.

Positive Attitude

Berkery, Clark and Kleinfelder all attribute Leary's success to one key factor: her attitude.

"Sarah has real presence," Kleinfelder said. "She is very motivated and hates to lose."

"I guess Sarah embodies Harvard women's lacrosse: hardworking, aggressive, loyal and a great friend," Berkery added.

Leary keeps it in perspective.

"I am a perfectionist, but l also have to keep in mind that I am not going to stop every shot," Leary said. "You'll go crazy unless you can put the last shot behind you."

Leary attributes her success in part to her own attitude, but is quick to mention Kleinfelder and her teammates.

"Without a doubt, my teammates are some of the finest people I know," Leary said. "They are dedicated, and will put themselves on the line for you."

"Carole is the constant factor in our success over the years, and she doesn't get enough credit," Leary continued. "She is the best coach in the country, bar none, and gets the most out of her players.

"We may not always be the most talented team in the country, but we are always competitive."

Kleinfelder recognizes Leary's importance to the success of the team, which is currently ranked third in the nation.

"Sarah is critical this year more than ever, because we have a young defense. I also value her off the field leadership. She is a detail person, and follows up in a lot of ways people don't always see," said Kleinfelder.

"We have a lot of potential, but we really need to gel. The seniors and juniors have been to the national championship. It's our responsibility to bring the younger players along," said Leary.

An economics concentrator in Eliot House, Leary chose not to do a thesis.

"I am majoring in lacrosse," Leary said. "I have really enjoyed playing lacrosse at Harvard.