Cartoon Was Offensive

MAIL

To the Editors of the Crimson:

Adam Lane, whose light-hearted exegesis of Matthew 16:23 appeared in his cartoon "Drawn and Quartered" on February 28, is not the first person to mock the founder of Christianity. The crown of thorns that he depicts on Jesus head is a reminder of that.

We presume, however, that Mr. Lane only intended to satirize what he thinks is the pharisaism of some Christians, and that he simply lacks the maturity, polish and imagination to do so without sinking to a blasphemous denigration of the religion itself.

But what about The Harvard Crimson? What were you hoping to accomplish when you did Mr. Lane the disservice of printing his childish and vulgar cartoon?

What became of the atmosphere of mutual respect in which--you so often remind us--debate should be conducted in the university?

No one quarrels with your freedom to disagree with and criticize the Christian faith, but by printing something as gratuitously offensive as this cartoon, you confirm the impression that at Harvard the religious beliefs of others are not worthy of respect.

We hope the next time you consider ridiculing what some people hold sacred, you will be less blinded to common decency by the journalistic thrill of taboo-smashing. Thomas Spence, GSAS   Claire Valente, GSAS