Police Hunt for Abducted Children

By Sunah N. Kim, Contributing Reporter

The search for two foster children abducted from a Cambridge elementary school over a week ago is continuing, a spokesperson for the Middlesex County District Attorney's office said yesterday.

The two girls, Angela Burke, 8, and Antoinette Burke, 5, were kidnapped by their biological parents on the morning of March 18, outside of the Martin Luther King School in Cambridge.

The parents--Cambridge residents Michael and Linda Burke--led the acquiescing girls away without causing a scene or attracting attention, according to the Cambridge Chronicle.

The children's foster parents did not know they were missing until the afternoon, when the girls did not return home, according to a statement released by the Middlesex County District Attorney last week.

Out of the State

Jill Riley, a spokesperson for district attorney, said investigators are speculating that the parents--who have a record of abusing their daughters--fled the state with their children.

"Police are actively pursuing the abductors," Riley said.

There has been no physical pursuit but police are conducting extensive investigations, Riley said.

She said she could not divulge any specifics because of the sensitive nature of the investigation. "However, we do have some hope of returning the children to their foster parents," she said.

"The foster parents are assisting us every step of the way," she added.