Grapplers Travel South for Easterns

By Andrew J. Arends, Contributing Reporter

The Harvard wrestling team traveled to Philadelphia yesterday to compete in the NCAA Division I Eastern Regional Tournament being held this weekend.

Preliminary matches are today, followed by semifinals and finals tomorrow.

The Crimson has spent the last two weeks preparing for the tournament.

"We've been having two-a-day practices to prepare, but nothing really innovative--just hard work," senior Co-Captain Mike Costanza said.

Harvard does not figure to be a major force in the meet, according to Coach Jim Peckham.

"We have a tough row to hoe. We are more of a tournament team than a duel meet team," Peckham said optimistically. "If we wrestle well, we could end up in the middle of the pack."

According the Peckham, Several Harvard wrestlers should be seeded, including senior Sam Cole, junior Frank Fronhofer and sophomores Zach Cooper and Michael Warnick.

Warnick Best Hope

Warnick is probably Harvard's best chance to advance a wrestler to the nationals.

"I'm ready to wrestle. We have spent the last two weeks getting mentally ready," Warnick said. "You know what you have to do. You just have to convince yourself."

Warnick credits his Leverett House roommates with helping him stay focused and motivated.

"They are a key part of my preparation," Warnick said.

Other Harvard wrestlers that may suprise the field are Costanza and sophomores Steve Aoki and Bill Counihan.

"Like the other guys, I have a tough weight Class," said Costanza. "I just have to suprise some people."

The top two wrestlers in each weight class and six wild cards will advance to the NCAA Finals, to be held later this month in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.