We Worry About CCH

MAIL

To the Editors of The Crimson:

We, the Very Concerned Christians at Harvard, welcome the decision of President [Neil L.] Rudenstine to continue his support of the Rev. Peter J. Gomes in his position as minister in Memorial Church of Harvard University.

We believe, through our study of Christianity, our personal prayer, our reflection and our discourse with fellow Christians, that Gomes' announcement that he is gay does not jeopardize his ability to be a leader of the Christian community at Harvard.

On the contrary, it enhances it. That Gomes speaks from the minority perspective of the gay community as well as from the African-American community supplements his qualifications to minister to all marginalized and oppressed peoples of the world--a ministry that we believe central to the Christian message.

Further, we believe that our brothers and sisters, the Concerned Christians at Harvard, are unintentionally causing great pain and harm within the Harvard community because of their claim that being gay disqualifies one from the responsibilities of Christian ministry.

Such a claim promotes hatred and prejudice against homosexuals and contributes to more extreme forms of cultural intolerance such as gay bashing.

Therefore, we applaud and wholeheartedly endorse the groundswell of support for Gomes that has emerged across the Harvard community.

Beyond advocating the continuation of this support, we want to express our concern for the individuals themselves who are promoting division and misunderstanding within the Christian community.

We are very concerned that the Concerned Christians' exclusion of homosexuals from their understanding of what constitutes a good Christian must surely erect barriers between them and many people.

These barriers negatively impact not only their relationships with open members of the gay community, but also with the gays and lesbians within their own families and circles of friends.

We witness the estrangement of the Concerned Christians from their (literally and figuratively) brothers and sisters, and we mourn their loss. It pains us to see them forfeiting vital and productive relationships--it pains us to see any persons closing themselves off to the wonderful diversity of the world.

We believe that the hurt one creates in life eventually comes back around to those who foster it.

Indeed, we believe that if the Concerned Christians understood the pain they were causing and hate they were promoting, they would not follow along their present course.

We, they Very Concerned Christians, therefore want to express our concern and compassion for the members of the Concerned Christians.

We invite them to join with us in creating an affirming and inclusive Christian environment. Clifford W. Frasier   Co-signed by 33 others