Faculty Decides on Calendar

Longer Intersession and Shorter Exam Periods to Continue

By Joanna M. Weiss, Crimson Staff Writer

Next year's calendar will again include shortened exam periods and a longer intersession, the Faculty Council decided yesterday.

The Committee on Undergraduate Education (CUE) requested that the council continue the calendar changes for another year in order to determine whether to make them permanent, Acting Secretary of the Faculty Council John B. Fox Jr. '59 said.

Last May CUE, the Committee on Graduate Education, the Faculty Council and the undergraduate Council voted to institute the Calendar changes which condensed the winter and spring exam periods by two days each.

According to last year's plan, that system would be reviewed at the end of this year.

But the council decided that because this year's winter reading period was shorter than the typical reading period, another year of the shorter exam periods would provide better information about its desirability, Fox said.

Fox said some council members discussed the negative impact of giving students less time to prepare for the exams. In addition, he said, some council members questioned the fairness of having a longer intersession when only the wealthier students might be able to leave town.

In other business, the council discussed the future of the Harvard College Library system with Director of the Harvard university Library Sidney Verba '53, who is also Pforzheimer University professor, and with Larsen Librarian of Harvard College Richard De Gennaro, Fox said.

Four senior professor representing a larger group of a faculty members concerned with the management of and investment in the University's library system, joined the council in the discussion, he said.