Race Offices to Work More Closely

By Ivan Oransky, Crimson Staff Writer

Dean of the Faculty Jeremy R. Knowles announced changes yesterday designed to enable Harvard Foundations and Minority affairs to work more closely together.

Knowles said he requested further cooperation last fall between the faculty committees which support and advise both groups.

Knowles said the move is an attempt to coordinate the actions of two separate offices with the same basic goals adding that he has already seen some progress.

"I believe that is the past few months things are being drawn to gether," he said. "I wanted to be sure each of them was working hard to wards harmony at the college."

In the past students have commented that two groups seem unsure of their respective responsibilities. This uncertainty the students said makes it difficult for either office to accomplish their goals.

Knowles said efforts such as coordinating the two advisory committees would hopefully prevent further divisiveness between campus groups.

"I am depressed when anyone of any group takes an aggressive stance because I do not believe that is the route to understanding, and understanding is the route to harmony," Knowles said.

S. Allen Counter, director of the Harvard Foundation, said in a interview yesterday that he was pleased with the plan and that such cooperation would increase input the interoffice relationships.

"I look forward to working together with several offices," he said.

The Harvard Foundation is designed to "work the issue of race and culture into the fabric of the community." it funds cultural shows and brings in minority speakers.

Assistant Dean Hilda Hernandez-Gravelle, who directs the office of the Race Relations and Minority Affairs could not be reached for comment.

Her office handles complaints by students who feel that they are victims of racism or ethnocentrism. The office sponsors the work of two groups, AWARE and SHARE.