Alleged Flasher To Face Charges

Police Identify One Student Suspect

By Rajath Shourie, Contributing Reporter

A Lowell House sophomore will be charged with "lewd and lascivious behavior" after allegedly exposing himself to two women in front of Claverly Hall last Sunday, according to a Harvard University police blotter report.

The sophomore, John R. Holena '94, was the only suspect positively identified by the women, according to the report, Harvard University Police Chief Paul E. Johnson hinted yesterday that several more people were involved but would not reveal their names, saying "it is a little bit sensitive."

Johnson would not say whether the others involved were also Harvard students.

According to a police report, two women were walking down Mount Auburn St. when some men allegedly accosted them and dropped their pants, said Johnson. One of the men allegedly grabbed his genitals and another made lewd remarks.

The men then ran across the street into a final club, the chief said. Two police officers, responding to a call about the incident, arrived at the scene, entered the club and interviewed some of the people there.

According to the police report, there was noevidence that the men were intoxicated, Johnsonsaid.

Lowell House Senior Tutor Alexandra L. Barcussaid yesterday she has advised Holena not to speakto the press until the charges against him havebeen finalized.

She also said that there were some factualinaccuracies in the police version of the events,and that Holena will respond to the charges oncethey have been officially made.

Barcus said it is possible that the case willbe heard by the Administrative Board instead ofthe courts.

But Johnson said yesterday that the Harvardpolice plan to file charges with the courts onbehalf of the women early next week.

While investigating the incident, The Crimsonfound what appear to be inconsistencies in thepolice report. The blotter report says that afterrunning across Mount Auburn St., the men ran intothe Spee Club. However, a student present at theincident who spoke on condition of anonymity saidthat the men actually entered the Phoenix S.K.Club.

In addition, Johnson said the incident tookplace around 5:15 p.m. on April 12, while theblotter report records the time as 3:45 a.m