Batsmen Left Stranded at Fenway

Harvard Fails to Drive Runners Home In First Round of Beanpot, As BC Eagles Rally in 10th Inning to Win, 5-4

By Justin R.P. Ingersoll, Special to The Crimson

BOSTON--In a heartbreaking extra-inning game, Harvard fell to Boston College, 5-4, in the first round of the Beanpot Tournament at Fenway Park.

With one out in the 10th and the score tied 4-4, BC centerfielder Derek Fergus doubled down the rightfield line, driving in third-baseman James Werme from second base.

It was the third time BC (14-11-1) has beaten the Harvard baseball team (12-11 overall, 4-2 EIBL) this year. But this loss was particularly painful.

"I hate losing, but I especially hate losing to them," junior rightfielder Mike Hill said. "I really dislike BC. They're not good winners."

"It was a tough loss. We never really got it going offensively," Co-Captain Jim Mrowka said. "I think we were off a little. It was one of those days."

The Crimson could not drive in a baserunner after the third inning. Harvard had runners on second with two outs in the fifth and seventh, but could not produce.

Harvard started off on the right note. In the first inning. Hill slammed a high 2-0 fastball 10 rows back in rightfield for a solo homerun.

Hill went on to almost hit for the cycle, Batting 3-5 with one RBI, the junior collected a triple in the third, and a ground-rule double in the fifth.

In the bottom of the inning, BC touched sophomore pitcher Jeff Mitchell for three runs, but the Crimson steadily chipped away at the Eagles' lead over the next two innings.

In the second, junior catcher Phil Andriola hit a sacrifice fly to center, scoring senior designated hitter Nick Del Vecchio. Junior third-baseman Pat Hegarty immediately followed with a line-shot homerun over the Green Monster in left, tying the score, 3-3.

The Crimson went ahead 4-3 in the third as senior Co-Captain Dan Scanlan drove in Hill, who had tripled.

Mitchell settled down after the first, holding BC quiet for five more innings. The Eagles struck back with a single to right that drove in the tying run.

"The big reason we lost today was that we let them stay in the game. We weren't executing," Hill said.

BC, 5-4 at Fenway park   R  H  E BC  300  000  100  1  --  5   11  0 Harvard  121  000  000  0  --  4   10  3

HR:BC--None; Harvard--Hill, Hegarty. 3B: BC--None; Harvard--Hill. 2B:BC--Mandile (2), Fergus; Harvard--DelVecchio, Hill, Hegarty. E:BC--None; Harvard--Giardi, Hill, Hegarty

WP: Romboli; LP: Rau (1-2)