Peninsula to Discuss Race

Magazine's Next Issue to Focus on Campus Race Relations

By Joe Mathews, Crimson Staff Writer

The conservative campus journal Peninsula will publish a new issue devoted to race relations on campus this week, a staff member said yesterday.

"That's it--an issue on race relations on campus," said Peninsula council member Christopher B. Brown '94. "And obviously that's become an interesting and important topic on campus as events...have unfolded."

The magazine's last issue devoted to a controversial subject--November's 56-page discussion of homosexuality--is still sending shock waves through the Harvard community.

The issue, which prompted Plummer Professor of Christian Morals Peter J. Gomes to announce his homosexuality, has been mentioned in recent news reports in Time magazine and The Washington Post.

The new issue comes at what some have called a precipitous time for race relations on campus. A coalition of student groups protested last month's speech by City University of New York professor Leonard Jeffries.

And a letter written to The Crimson last week by Harvard Foundation Director S. Allen Counter and Student Advisory Committee Co-Chair Natosha O. Reid '93 has touched off a debate about race relations on campus and inside the newspaper.

`Wait for the Issue'

Peninsula itself has come under criticism for posting a flyer in Cabot and Mather Houses that some students considered racist and insensitive to Black students.

But despite the campus turmoil, Peninsula council members say they will not reveal their specific stand on recent events until the issue premieres.

"I suppose the best thing I could tell you is to wait for the issue," said Brown.