Revue Signals Disaster

To the Editors of the Crimson:

The results of the ruckus at Harvard over the April Fool's Day parody of a deceased faculty member are likely to be similar to those of a recent scandal that tarnished the reputation of another prestigious law school, Georgetown.

A couple of years ago the admissions practices at the Georgetown Law Center were the subject of heated debate after it became public that skin color was one of the scales that Georgetown Law School used to evaluate the academic achievements and character of its applicants. The revelation that it had separate and unequal admissions standards made Georgetown the butt of jokes and tarnished the image of the university. The events at Harvard will likely have similar results.

Some of the students and faculty at Harvard are enraged by an irreverent parody of a deceased faculty member, and they want vengeance. The weapons they have chosen are censorship and ostracism..."burn the books and excommunicate the blasphemous rogues from the ever-so-pure and perfect society of Harvard."

Since the U.S. Constitution is apparently not part of the curriculum, maybe the law students and Harvard faculty should take a trip to Jersey City on May 12. I understand that Jersey City's 10th grade social studies classes will be spending the whole day discussing the value and importance of freedom of speech in a democracy. Alec A. Des Roches