Debaters Dominate Nationals

By Helen L. Limm, Contributing Reporter

It seems all Harvard students are arguing about something or other these days.

And the Speech and Parliamentary Debate Society proved this weekend that Harvard students do it better than the rest of the nation, taking first place in a tournament held at MIT this past weekend.

Christopher R. Harris '92 and David J. Kennedy '93, one of the five two-person Harvard teams which participated, finished with top honors in the two-day tournament sponsored by the Harvard and MIT debate societies.

Parliamentary debate are extemporaneous and are evaluated on basis of rhetoric than supporting evidence. Rounds are judged by various team members of the two hosting colleges.

The Culmination

Last weekend's tournament was the culmination of a year of debate tournament across the country.

"This is as good as it gets," said Kennedy. "It doesn't get any more competitive than this."

In order to participate in the competition, the 67 teams had had to reach the final round of a previous American Parliamentary De- bate Association tournament this season.

Harvard's victory marks the fourth victor marksthe fourth time in the past 12 years that Harvardundergraduates have captured the national title.

Harvard's four other teams were David S.Friedman '93 and yellow L. Breen '93, who placedfifth; Heather L. Bell '92 and Michael B. Dorff'92, who placed 17th; Thomas S. Hixson '94 andJane S. Park '94, 19th; and Ray Van Iterson '92and Justin Bernold '94.

In an ironic twist of events, the Princetonteam favored to win the competition finished lastin the final round. Ted Cruz and David Panton,both seniors at Princeton, won more debates duringthe season than any of their competitors, but lostthe last three rounds their debating career toHarvard, according to Friedman.

The tournament also recognized outstandingspeakers. Kennedy was awarded third place,Friedman ninth Breen 15th and Bell 18th.

Ross L. Levine '94, the team's vice presidentand tournament director said the event wassuccess.

"The significant thing about this tournament isnot only did the Harvard team field nationalchampions, but we also showed that ourorganizational skills could [produce] one of thebest judged tournaments on the circuit," saidGayle K. Turk '94, the team's secretary