Laxwomen Travel to Hanover

GOING FOR THE TITLE

By Peggy L. Yeh, Crimson staff writer

It's been six years and 34 straight victories since the Harvard women's lacrosse team has lost an Ivy League game.

The last time the Crimson fell, it was to Dartmouth 10-9, in the final game on the 1986 season.

Today, the squad treks up to the wilds of Hanover N.H. hoping to keep its impressive streak alive. And it will definitely be showdown since Harvard (11-1 overall, 5-0 Ivy) currently shares the Ivy lead with Big Green (9-3 overall, 5-0 Ivy).

This one will be for all the marbles.

Dartmouth enters today's game in high spirits after netting three Ivy triumphs in a span of six days. The Big Green rolled over Cornell, Yale and Brown by an average seven goal margin.

Freshman Lauren Holleran, this week's Ivy offensive Players of the Week led the Big Green's charges with 10 goals in the three victories.

This spree moved her into second place on the Ivy League scoring list, behind (you guessed it) Harvard junior Liz Berkery.

And while Holleran fires on net, sophomore Kim Cohen plays an outstanding game in the net. Last week, Cohen made 31 saves to register a 1.92 goals against average.

"They're a really tough, aggressive team," Harvard Coach Carole Kleinfelder said. "It'll be a fast game. Both teams have a lot of speed in the mid-field."

Harvard's confidence continues to mount as the squad holds tight to it's first place ranking in the Brine Coaches Poll. With convincing victories over Cornell and Old Dominion last weekend, it's certainly safe to say that the team's mid-season slump is over.

Co-Captain Sarah Leary continues her phenomenal play between the pipes, allowing only 11 goals in the past three contests.

She holds the lead in Ivy goal keeping statistics with a 3.00 goals against average.

And junior Liz Berkery remains tops in Ivy scoring with an overall tally of 40 goals and 8 assists. The attack has been active of late with senior Buffy Hansen, sophomore Francie Walton and sophomore Sarah Downing racking up the points.

Offensive punch and defensive tenacity--the Crimson's got 'em both.

That should be more than enough for Dartmouth and beyond.