Netwomen Finish at Home

By Ted G. Rose, Crimson Staff Writer

In baseball, it is called the pay-off pitch.

In football, 4th-and-goal.

In basketball, the last shot.

If there's equivalent in tennis, it's today.

It is Harvard versus Dartmouth with the 1991-92 Ivy League women's tennis title up for grabs.

The Crimson (11-8 overall, Ivy 5-0) will host the Big Green (5-0 Ivy) today at 2 p.m. If the weather remains good, the two teams will play outside at the Beren Tennis Center.

How close are these two teams? Check out a few of the facts:

Each squad is undefeated in the league.

Both have won by relatively similar scores against similar opponents.

The fall meeting between the two teams was decided by one point (Harvard won.)

Does this convince you that's this match will be a nailbiter?

It's certainly enough for Dartmouth Coach Chris Clark Kerr.

"Based on the results [against common teams] it should be very interesting. It ought to be really close." Kerr said. "We know that Harvard's really tough up top with Erika [deLone], but all of the matches should be very tough down the line."

Team Unity

A real battle on the last day of the season. Not many Harvard players would have predicted this scenario a couple months ago.

"Coming into the season, we didn't we were going to be here at this point," Harvard senior Kim Cooper said. "I definitely think we've done a good job of supporting each other this year."

Cooper isn't the only player who thinks good team chemistry has created a successful team.

"I love this group of girls," junior Erika Elmuts said. "I've liked the teams in the past, but there's something special here."

Cooper thinks the positive team vibes might have something to do with the relatively youthful Crimson squad.

"A lot of our bottom players haven't had as much experience on the junior level and get really excited about the college matches," Cooper explained. "I think that boosts the whole team's morale."