I've Never Been Whacked by Noel

MAIL

To the Editors of The Crimson:

Noel Ignatiev is not an anti-Semite. How can I be so sure? Because he is my History and Literature tutor.

I'm sorry to put a damper on your scenario, Mr. Silversmith [Letter, April 1], but I say many an inappropriate and disagreeable thing in tutorial, and Noel has not once whacked me upside the head or threatened to sue.

In fact, when my fellow students and I requested a change in the syllabus earlier this year, Noel (with the help of our other tutor, Peter Linebaugh) commenced to revamp the course to our satisfaction.

The result has been some of the most interesting and intellectually stimulating discussions I have had at Harvard. And a two-by-four was not in sight.

Just one question. What, exactly, is "the measure of decorum that is appropriate for a non-resident tutor"? Noel is a very passionate man, and this quality makes him an outstanding tutorial leader, one who is not afraid to express his opinion.

I was not aware that there existed Rules for Non-Resident Tutor Behavior. And I was not aware that conformity to opinion was one of them.

Perhaps it was not "appropriate" for Noel to threaten to sue The Crimson. But then perhaps it was not "appropriate" for an author and a cartoonist to accuse him of anti-Semitism.

I find it disheartening that many Harvard students are so eager to suppress a dissenting opinion. And the only unfortunate thing I find in this whole business is that not everyone at this University can have Noel Ignatiev as a tutor. Megan K. Fritschel '94